Anyone ready to restore a vehicle?

Started by Doug Gould, October 13, 2014, 04:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Gould

I go to Thailand frequently and have a number of friends who collect & restore cars there. One friend in particular has a network of guys who have restored a number of Alfa's. The workmanship is as good as Australia and the cost? Call me if you are interested and I'll take you through the numbers. I'm planning to ship a vehicle there for restoration early in 2015. 2 cars in a 40ft container is nearly half the shipping cost of one in a 20 ft container. Shipping will be from then back to Melbourne. Plan on a full restoration taking up to 2 years.

Doug
0419 346 853

08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

GTVeloce

Having shipped cars a few times, if the car is registered and can be driven, it is much cheaper to go via ro-ro (roll on roll off ship). I used Singapore which has the most traffic (port) but it is quite a lot of effort to drive a car in Singapore (and expensive) and would suggest just having it towed to Malaysia. From there it is just a really good motorway all the way along the west coast to Thailand and cheap fuel. Plus it is a lot of fun!

Of course, if the cars are in need of a serious restoration then you have no option but to ship via container.

The only other thing to consider is corruption. We also used Singapore because everything operated as per usual western standards. We originally was going to ship out from Thailand until the customs there wanted a $US700 bribe. This led to a quick change of plans and a drive back down to Singapore.