Wheel nuts for Momo Vega's on an Alfetta GTV 4 x98

Started by Neil Choi, June 30, 2014, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Choi

Hello all,
Can the brain's trust tell me what or what type of wheel nuts will fit Momo Vega's to an Alfetta GTV.
On my other wheels, I use the 19mm nuts with the attached (or fused) "washer" (if you understand what I mean).  If I use these on the Momo's, the "washer" part is too wide and wouldn't fit and tighten down on the stud.

Have I got it wrong or am I using the wrong nuts.

I know Paul Newby has Momo's on his GT, maybe he can chime in.

Neil

giulia_veloce

Neil Choi

Thanks Rob,

The "washer" is attached or part of the nut.  Here is pic of the nut I am using. 
I was thinking of the acorn type but just weary of the taper biting and gouging out the stud hole, have seen it before.
Hence why the washer type nut on my other wheels, where the taper of the nut fits into the taper of the wheel and the washer part press down on the wheel, if you understand what I mean.

Any ideas will be great.

Neil

Neil Choi

Here is a pic of the nut on the Momo, I didn't have a hub hanging around but you get the idea.
So I need a different nut but I don't want just a taper acorn as I think the taper will wear on the stud hole.

Please advice.

Thanks
Neil

Neil Choi

You think I can machine down the washer part a mm or so to fit pass that inner whatever you call it edge towards the hub hole.  But not ideal as if I lost a nut at the track and trying to find one by stealing from another Alfetta donor car (spectator's) will be a problem.

alfa duk

Neil, you can nip off that small amount with a disk/belt sander or if it is for the race car, you need to get new nuts anyway. Those nuts are from the standard campys 
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

giulia_veloce

Hi Neil

The washer will come off.

Put the wheel nut in a vice with the threaded section up,and the vice supporting the washer.
Thread an old stud in the wheel nut and bang down,and the washer will come off the wheelnut.
You could also use a suitable punch with the same effect
The wheel nut + washer was used to hold the Mexican Hat hub cap in place on 105s and Alfettas.
Nothing wrong with your wheel nuts.
You can buy new ones if you like.
All my Momo wheels are attached using these wheel nuts,including my Black 75.
Any doubts or problems,,you have my number.

Some others have used 17mm nuts on these wheels so a socket will fit easier.
Because the wheel nut you are using is longer,you should not have a problem,and no expense of new nuts.

Hope to see a few of you at the East Coast Challenge next month.

Robert

hmd

Neil,

Technically with CAMS you need open end set of nuts anyway.

This is what I bought recently for may group S car.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281316848770?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Neil Choi

Thanks Rob,
It fooled me, had me wondering all day at work, so went down to Angelo after work and got one and knocked it out.  You learn something everyday.
So it will be usable but I would prefer a nut with a bigger taper.  So will go with HMD's suggestion, perhaps, we will see, no hurry.  I will try the originals and have a play, might save a few bucks and buy unnecessary stuff.

What is the reasoning with open end wheel nuts for racing?

Cheers buddies.

Neil

giulia_veloce

The reasoning for an open ended nut is to show the stud and show how many threads of the studs are holding the nut.
A scrutineer can ask a competitor to remove a nut or 2 etc,to show how many  threads,if it is a closed nut.

Niel..you can also cut the end of that nut to show the stud.
I prefer these nuts as they have more threads than normal.
But then again,,some competitors use spacers between the wheel and hub,which makes less thread.

Robert

aggie57

Neil - I have a old ice cream container full of wheel nuts in the garage.  You're welcome to whatever you want. There's plenty of tapered open nuts as I recall.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Paul Newby

Quote from: Neil Choi on June 30, 2014, 11:44:49 PM
Hello all,
Can the brain's trust tell me what or what type of wheel nuts will fit Momo Vega's to an Alfetta GTV.
On my other wheels, I use the 19mm nuts with the attached (or fused) "washer" (if you understand what I mean).  If I use these on the Momo's, the "washer" part is too wide and wouldn't fit and tighten down on the stud.

Have I got it wrong or am I using the wrong nuts.

I know Paul Newby has Momo's on his GT, maybe he can chime in.

Neil

I've only just seen this thread now ...  :)

I started off using original nuts like the ones you described with the washers removed.

When I was told I needed to use open nuts, I cut off the end of the original nuts. However after a while the nut ends would discolour and go rusty - not a great look.

I ended up buying a new set of nuts from Nice Products in Sydney. I can't remember the specifications (I'm at work), but they weren't expensive and gave me piece of mind.

I think I still have my old nuts in an ice cream container too...  :D
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Neil Choi

Thanks Paul,
I have tried a few different style nuts and seems to conclude that I need 17mm acorns.  I am hoping the taper is then narrow enough to fit pass the inner part of the wheel as the original 19mm hits it and the taper interferes with the wheel so will not clamp down.  Unless as suggested I machine out the wheel.

Any more insight will be great.

Neil

alfagtv58

Quote from: Paul Newby on July 21, 2014, 03:21:47 PM
I think I still have my old nuts in an ice cream container too...  :D

That sounds cold.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti