No start

Started by alfa331.7, June 17, 2014, 08:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfa331.7

Hi all back again

So I was driving my 33 and it had started to jerk and stutter quite violently at low and high speed as we'll as a bit of surging on throttle and then it just turned off and wouldn't start again

I'll be honest I have been a bit tight and I have been using e10 fuel for the past week could this mean my fuel pump has gone and shat itself ?
It did start once I clutch started it but then died back down
This engine has 1500km on it so it is fresh and clean

Any suggestions will help thanks

Frank Musco

Oh no, not the fresh engine!

Check for any fuel leaks, around carbies and fuel pump and the four metres of fricken fuel hoses. Then check to see if any wires in the engine bay have come loose, causing an electrical fault. If all looks good you can get more involved feeling a bit SAFER. Check your rotor button in the distributor has not broken or burned out! Same with the carbon in the cap.

Check, if you have spark by removing coil lead from distributor and fit a spare spark plug and then earth the plug while someone cranks the engine. Be very CAREFUL or you will get a big shock...so use well insulated pliers to hold the insulation at lead end...Again BE CAREFUL!!!, you should be able to count one spark per compression stroke.
OR
remove the coil and module from your other 33 and swap, probably a better idea.

If this doesn't work take the tops off the carbies, the parts connected to the airbox, so you can now look down into the carbies. Give them a pump and see if petrol squirts from the pump jets nice and evenly. If not, your petrol pump may have failed. Again, if you can, swap the petrol pump from your other 33 and see what happens.

If this all seems ok, then post more specific details about how it broke down and what it's doing now.

Also, for what it's worth, in my opinion use 98 octane, ITS AN ALFA!!!, and good luck.