AROCA Round 6 Phillip Island Sprint 12 July SATURDAY

Started by Neil Choi, June 03, 2014, 06:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beavis

It was bucketing down and even some hail at the start of the day but the weather turned around in the end, although a little damp and the occasional drizzle... plus the dump of fluid at turn 1 and 2 caught a few people.

I was disappointed that the cars were let out of the pits so slowly at the start of sessions, I was lapping cars very quickly. Not a good feeling when I am on a quick lap and catch up to cars that have only just left the pits.

Also, there were a big delay around midday which seemed to be a waste of valuable track time. I would have thought we could have made use of the dry track while we had it.

Ended up with a 1:52, car should be 1-2sec faster with better conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4azGO8VxN8

Mick A

Quote from: beavis on July 13, 2014, 09:51:38 PM

I was disappointed that the cars were let out of the pits so slowly at the start of sessions, I was lapping cars very quickly. Not a good feeling when I am on a quick lap and catch up to cars that have only just left the pits.

Also, there were a big delay around midday which seemed to be a waste of valuable track time. I would have thought we could have made use of the dry track while we had it.

There was a fairly big crash at hayshed, which caused a 45 min delay, then there was lunch break, so the flag marshals who stand out in the freezing cold all day could have a quick bite to eat.

Do you still want to have a whinge? Or maybe just say thanks to those who ran the day and helped clean up the shit on the track so you could have your dry runs?

Mick A

I will say this though after watching your video.

Great driving.

Frank Musco

Neil Choi

Well, the event was rather exciting and unpredictable with the weather and conditions encountered.  Rain was certainly predicted and it was wet on the way down the highway (I didn't break down this time), a bit of drizzle early on and showers came around 8am followed by some hail and heavier rain, things were certainly looking ominous.  Luckily, scrutineering was carried out under cover in the scrutineering shed and the crew worked under shelter.  First practice run was pretty much on time and well organized but was interrupted by early off's and recovery was quick into action first thing in the morning, thanks to Michael and Claude Botti, Ivan and Daryl Susigan manning the recovery vehicle.  More recoveries were required as a couple of serious incidents halted the running of the day caused by the adverse weather and track conditions.  Thanks to the many drivers and volunteers who gave up their time and drive to go out onto track to help clean the track from turn 2 through to Siberia corner, making it safe for all and therefore allowing others to keep driving. The flag marshals welcomed their hard earned lunchtime break under shelter away from the cold and exposure to the Bass Strait weather, they were treated to their lunch, hot soup and coffee.   To these two group of hardy helpers and officials, I thank you gratefully for keeping the event running.  Despite the cold and wet conditions and lost of valuable track time, we all got some dry runs and was fairly satisfied with the amount of track time and what we achieved in our lap times and leaving the circuit the way we started in the morning. 

The folks to thank are:  Stuart Thomson, Rex Monaghan, Bruno Colautti, Alan Hopla, Noel Goltz, the usual check in crew, the nameless scrutineers and the Motorsport Marshalling Team.  With such a small and limited crew, I believe we did pretty well and considering the conditions, the amount of track time achieved was well within reason.  So thanks to all.

Until next time, see you on the track.
Neil