159 Alternator Advice

Started by Ladyhawk, May 20, 2014, 04:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ladyhawk

I've got a 2010 159 2.2 JTS Ti with an Alternator that is possibly about to die on me (replaced dead battery only to find engine warning light comes on - low charge going back into the battery, but car still running OK for now). I've been warned by my Alfa workshop that a new alternator will be $1200+ to fit and replace. Upon further research online, I can have the appropriate Bosch Alternator shipped from the UK for under $500 - so whats the story??? is there really $700 in labour to fit it??? Anyone out there in Alfaland have any words of wisdom to offer???

colcol

The 2.2JTS engine is east west and if its anything like the 147and 156 series, then the alternator is hidden deep in the engine, if it is really hard to get at, i would put in a new alternator, if it is easy to get at, then get yours reconditioned, i would say at that cost, then its hard to get at requiring lots of belts and gaurds being removed and being worked at from under while up on a hoist.
These engines were used in Saabs, Opels and Vauxhalls, and sometimes buying online can be a problem as manufacturers can change things like a bracket or wiring loom so you have to use their alternator.
If you are not happy with the price, get another price from another Alfa Romeo service provider and see what they come up with, but do it quick, before your 159 is towed into a service provider, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Mick A

Hi,

The regulator is most likely the fault. It is a component of the alternator.

Cheers.

colcol

The regulator is fitted to the back of the alternator and on a good car like an Alfa 33, you unscrew off the back of the alternator.
On an East West engine on a 159, you may have to remove the alternator to get at the regulator to check it, i wouldn't know for sure as i have never fixed one, there may be enough room to get at the back of the alternator while it is installed, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Flattop

Just about to pull the alternator for my wife's car, 
Did you get it recoed or replacement?