159 JTD Dreaded water pump failure

Started by Stuggy, May 14, 2014, 06:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuggy

Well I finally after months of searching find a beautiful red 2008 TI JTD with just over 45000 klms on the clock...and have had the vehicle just on 3 mths and water pump failure caused engine exceeded temp failure and belt to skip a couple of teeth. It is in the shop being looked at but I have to say doesn't look good. My mechanic who I have used for other Alfa work is pulling off the rocker covers to see it any damage and thoughts are if not then we will replace the water pump, timing belt and see how things go. The overheating is an issue that may surface at a later date I am told...so may be best to have the head looked at and the list may go on. What are my options? I can get my hands on a second hand motor with 87,000 klms on it for just on $4000 but it still has to be fitted and there is always an unknown factor with second hand engines despite the fact that they guarantee it for 3 mths. Not sure which way to turn right now but certainly have no choice but to get it sorted. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Plan was to join the Alfa Club and live happily ever after but probably need a car for that!!!

colcol

Lucky you don't have a Benzina 147-156 4 cylinder or you would be looking for a new engine with the piston to valve collision, i am told that on a Diesel, the rocker arms break and these have to be replaced, and the little rollers fall down into the sump and have to be fished out or the sump removed.
It sounds like the water pump seized up and stopped pumping and the engine got hot and then instead of acting like a pulley on the timing belt, as it was seized, it ground away the timing belt.
I would have the cylinder head chcked for warping and to see if it has got so hot it has gone soft, if it has, you would have to get a new cylinder head and most likely the block is warped, i would try a second hand engine with a warranty for 3 months, sounds like a good option, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Domenic

Make sure you're mechanic fits either a genuine Alfa water pump or one that has upgraded bearings.

This is what happens when people fit aftermarket water pumps to the car AND don't realise that Fiat had a recall on the diesel water pumps due to premature bearing failure. (they collapse due to high tension) This was upgraded in their design, but not with aftermarket water pumps.

The only water pumps that i know of besides Genuine that have the upgraded bearings are Bugatti or Graf.
This will help prevent future failure of the water pump as it's driven by the timing belt and under huge load.

Stuggy

Thanks chaps for the tips...I hope that I have some luck and that I don't need a new engine...but I understand what you are saying Colin. Guess I will find out a bit more once the rocker covers are removed tomorrow. I know the vehicle has never had its water pump and belts replaced...I guess having only 45,000 on the clock the previous owners may not have felt it necessary...or seen a recall notice. Having read some forum posts on the matter...now that I think about it I thought it was just diesel rattle but could have in part been water pump rattle. Am missing the car already so am definitely getting it sorted...and yes will insist that the water pump is genuine and beefed up bearings Dominic. Fingers and toes crossed that I don't need to order a second hand engine as they must be hard to track down in Australia. May have to look overseas and take more risk if it goes pear shape. Any tips on where I should look or contact if I do need engine?

Stuggy

Thanks for the comment Col...it probably was driven for about 8 minutes unfortunately. Strange it didn't make any noise as just stopped and wouldn't start again...as that belt had skipped a couple of teeth. Kicking myself for not noticing earlier.

Domenic

Glad i could help with some info.

If you don't want to pay dealer prices for a genuine pump, we stock the correct Bugatti water pump with the upgraded bearings. So let me know if you need one and the rest of the bits to fix you're engine like the rockers Colin mentioned.

You're best bet in Melbourne to try for a second hand engine (depending on your location) would be some  Alfa wreckers; Milano Spares, The Italian Job and Monza Motors, they're more than likely to have wrecked a 159 so may have an engine for you.

Stuggy

Thanks Domenic, Let me know the contact details for that pump etc. Thanks again.

colcol

Italian Automotive Spares, 9 Kirkdale Street, Brunswick East, Victoria, 3057, phone [03] 9036 1606.
web        www.italianautomotivespares.com.au     email     info@italianautomotivespares.com.au
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Stuggy

Latest update on my engine...mechanic has rocker cover off...all rockers broken and rollers in the sump...they are fishing them out and doing a flush and a count of them to make sure they have them all...thinking is that one or two missing won't be an issue...ummmm not sure about that but do trust these guys. Still have to get costs for new water pump, timing belt, rockers and rollers....possibly head examination and shave if warped etc... Not sure what cost should be reasonable or if second hand engine is cheaper/better option.  Any guess of what $ I may expect to pay for this work?

Stuggy

Progress report...they have managed so far to find all but 7 of the little rollers...that's 293 rollers recovered - well done guys. Not finished as yet as they still need to check a couple of places in the sump with magnets that these rollers may be clinging too. I am hoping that they get them all but mechanic has said that 1 or 2 not found should not cause any issues - I hope he is right...fingers crossed. Could be a couple of weeks before I get car back.

Stuggy

Update...my car has been fixed and is running well. Thanks to Vince and the team at Northern Alfa....great job at sorting the vehicle out and I am very happy to have it back. Very happy to have the vehicle back...and I'm still not put off Alfa's. Thanks all for input and help along the way.