Replacing Exh side engine mount GTV 2.0

Started by fack33, April 24, 2014, 08:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fack33

Interested in any hints on replacing LH exh side engine mount on 1982 GTV 2.0. The engine is in place and there is no intention to remove it. We just need the mount replaced as car failed registration on this point. Can I simply support the engine on a trolley jack with a bit of wood under the sump???

Neil Choi

Yes, that would be the idea.  Hopefully you can easily access the three nuts of the mount on the engine side, especially the top one.  Should be alright.

You might also want to wrap the new mount with heat shield of some sort to protect them.

fack33

Thanks for reply. There is a heat shield attached with a couple of bolts that comes down over the exhaust manifold. However reading other posts on the subject talks to additional protection as you do. Anything you have sourced and used locally (Perth)?

Neil Choi

That is the original factory heat shield, correct?  I always seem to remember removing and never putting back.  I was thinking of heat shield material something like the picture, from say SuperCheapAuto or Burson or Repco, cut and wrap around the mount.  Should keep the mount good for a little longer.

fack33

Thanks, makes sense. I will add to my shopping list for when I get my current challenge conquered. (see new post)