Alfasud Topless

Started by colcol, April 17, 2014, 09:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Hello everyone, about 20 years ago, at the old Morwell Hillclimb, i was a compeditor there, and a early Alfasud softtop appeared there, as a spectator only, it was a green one, i think about 1975 model year, they seemed to be from around the Morwell area, they were young people in their early 20's, there were 3 or 4 of them, the roof had been chopped off and reinforcing bars had been welded in, it looked like a very back yarder special, and it had a sort off fold down roof, i encouraged them to join the Alfa Club and bring the car along to the 'GALA' day, which was what Spectacolo was called early on.
Has anybody ever seen this car ever or since?, the problems of rust in a 70's Alfa Romeo without a roof is too horrid to think about, would love to hear what happened to this car.
Reminds me of the time scrounging for parts at Pinch a Part, and i came across a Volkswagon Beetle 'home made softtop', it looked to be in good condition with no accident damage, and i tried to open one of the doors, that wouldn't open because it had broken just around the 'B' pillar on the floor, and a Leyland Mini i saw at a country snack bar, with 4 passengers, it pulled in, and all the passengers and drivers jumped over the doors, when i asked why they didn't open the doors to get out they replied that the weight of the passengers in the car, flexed the body so much, the doors would remained jammed shut, so if they all got in the Mini with the doors open, and sat down, the doors wouldn't shut, so there!, anyone out there ever done an Alfa Romeo softtop?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]