147 seats

Started by chispe, April 14, 2014, 09:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chispe

Good evening all,
My 2005 147 has beautiful black leather seats (oh yes, no 'could be made from leather, man-made leather or leather accents' here thank you Toyota and Hyundai). However I fear I may have overdone the lumbar adjustment and following an unfortunate-sounding 'twang' it's gone all limp (the lumbar adjustment that is). The rod itself now moves freely laterally as well as rotationally
Does anyone have experience in repairing such things? I am happy to try a bit of dismantling if required but before I stuff something up I thought I'd ask....
Thanks
Spencer. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

colcol

Get your radio code first, then disconnect battery, wait 10 minutes, then undo the 4 - 8mm cap screws that hold the seat rails to the floor, use a 6 mm ball drive allen key to undo, unplug airbag wiring looms and remove seat.
Get sturdy bench or box, place blanket on bench or box, place seat upside down and have a look and see what you can see and feel down the back to see whats come loose, you will most likely have to remove trim off back of seat, most likely a lot of one use only plastic clips that will break and you won't be able to buy any easily, but the seat trim may be held on by the old school round metal fence bailing wires, so make sure you have plenty of dettol and bandaids.
Keep head and other valuables clear of any side seat airbags that may go off unexpected.
Play it by ear or other body parts and see what has broken, when fixed, assemble seat in reverse of dissasembly [?], put seat back in car and connect airbag wiring loom and battery, wait 10 minutes, enter code in radio and wonder why they code it, as its not a very good radio, and anyway, if you were to steal it you can get the code on the internet, but i digress, put back capscrews and loctite them and torque to about 10 lbs, or nip up, not too tight or you will distort seat runners.
Then the airbag light will be on, so decide what Alfa Service Provider will get to turn off the airbag light this time, check Forum Banner for Alfa Romeo Air Bag Light Turner Offerers, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

chispe

Thanks Col. When I screw up my courage I'll give it a go. I know it's not a laughing matter but the thought of being clobbered by a disembodied chair airbag  is kind of funny if expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

colcol

If you want to really scare yourself, just look on youtube airbag explosions, what people with too much time on their hands, do with airbags, 'to blow things up', Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]