12/1983 Alfasud ti QV Barn find (kinda)

Started by Mike, April 03, 2014, 01:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amichie

Hi Mike

Great news.  Now that your driving it around how's the synchro? Mine used to grind a bit shifting into 2nd.

Those springs have lowered it a lot more than 20mm.

Car looks great.

Andrew

Mike

To my surprise the box feels spot on, no synchro issue what so ever, all very smooth.  Well I have to catch a break sometimes!

Yes it certainly looks more than a 20mm drop I agree, and this was the less low springs!  It actual still feels very compliant on the road, although I noticed the front left shock that needs attention, which is annoying.  No crashing over bumps, probably largely due to maintaining stock tyre profile.  We put 2.5 deg static neg camber in as well, hard to say benefit of this given I did not have a before sync after.  I suspect front wheel bearings may be tired, ever so slight audible noise. 

cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

amichie

When mine was lowered it also had a lot of negative camber also and the most noticeable difference was the steering was much heavier at low speed when lowered. With stock springs it rides much nicer, has more body roll but still loves the corners. Looked nicer lowered, that's about it. If yours is working well then maybe leave the springs alone.
The front struts come out very easily I can pull a strut out and disassemble in about 20mins now.

Sportscar Nut

Congrats Mike getting the car on the road - looks great.

I have always kept the original springs although do have a set of lower King springs in the shed never fitted. The QV had the stiffest Sud springs from the factory and unique brake bias valve as a result. I fitted Koni yellow shocks and stiffened the front shocks bump a further 20% from memory and the car handles fantastic for the road (highly recommend if you want less lean in corners).

The car did loose some compliance though that was a feature of the standard QV.

Cheers
Paul

Mike

I took it to a track day last night, what a blast.  It was raining and the track was not a hp track, consequently the little Sud was loving it, as was I.  It was so predictable to drive, which made you want to lean on it more and more.  The sud had no issue keeping up which was a big surprise to me.  Big smile on my face!

Quick knee on spring reinstall, 20min in and out?  I'm doing something wrong, it takes me that long to compress the spring.  Do you compress it in vice or press?
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

amichie

I have a pair of old (bought about 25 years ago) spring compressors that do the job nicely. Not that different to what you can buy off ebay or super cheap auto. They just have hooks that fit over the coils on each end and you put one on each side of the spring.

Sportscar Nut

Mike

The QV springs do not require much compression but recall Ti springs do. Have only used the spring compressors to make life easier when refitting the springs. Sounds like you might have Ti springs in the car??

Think the QV springs had one less coil from memory.

Paul

Mike

Oh yeah, the springs I had in were a pain in the backside, had to compress with two blokes...I was ready for a press!!

Easier with lowered springs of course.

Thought I'd throw up a pick of the track day, was a nice wet track and the thunder bolts were an impressive backdrop.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

azza

i have 2 sprints that im parting out if you need parts

Mike

took a shot of the finsihed product (well are they ever finished?!).  Still have things I want to do (like retention the new handbrake cable and recoat bumpers and wheels). 

I've been driving the Sud a fair bit since it was registerd, it's just so much fun, seriously fun at pedestrian speeds.  The noise is infectious and I just love it.  Threw two new boots on her today as one of the Pirelli's had gone out of round after years of sitting.  Nasty virbration is now gone.  Starts first pop, even the aircon works, although a regas is new on the list.

Enjoy the pics.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

Couple more.  We put 2.5 deg neg camber in the front, feels great through a corner.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

Sud on Simmons for a laugh.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

Need to replace my tie rod ends on the sud.  Is there a particular brand that is the best?  I am aware there is a lot of cheap crap out there so want to avoid it.  Also if anyone knows who stocks this stuff in aus to avoid the wait from uk?  Cheers
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

colcol

You could try Italian Automotive Spares in Victoria phone 03 9036 1606 or contact them via the internet, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]