12/1983 Alfasud ti QV Barn find (kinda)

Started by Mike, April 03, 2014, 01:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Sat for a long while, will need some love to get running...bit of an unknown....but I'm super excited :-)
cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

aggie57

Very cool Mike - great to see another one of these pop up and especially to see it end up with a keen owner like you.  When do we see the twin-charge project start lol!  Just kidding....  ;D
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Mike

Haha, thanks.  No twincharge for this one, I'm thinking nice and stock...maybe some suspension and tickle the engine in NA form.  Step one...get it running, and hunt for rust!
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Sheldon McIntosh

I hope it's saveable, they are such a wonderful Alfa.

Looks like an interesting 'barn', is there a couple of Fiats back there?

Mike

Should be able to save it, I have resigned myself to it being a parts car, should that not prove to be the case, but I am hopefull.

'barn' is private so will reserve commenting, not my place.

If anyone has a mint interior for a Sud QV I'd be very interested, this one is complete, but dash has cracks and seat material faded.  PM me.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Sportscar Nut

Mike

Great to hear of another TiQV and hope you can save the car. Is the issue rust?

Don't be concerned with faded interior as can easily re-dye the red Ti's (fabric synthetic marker pen from Spotlight). Should be able to get many required parts from Peter at Alfasud Parts in the UK but only 250 TiQQV's were sold here so you will be lucky to find any immaculate interior pieces.

Enjoy the car!

Paul

Mike

Hi Paul,

the doors dont sit quite right, point up a little at rear..has me concerned it might have had a tap, we shall see.  Rust under the battery tray in a big way, not sure if structural yet but I see the ground :-).  The drive front floor apon closer inspection is being held together by the underbody deadner, will lift carpet tomorrow to suss that one out.

Engine oil level horribly low, can't beleive I forgot to check that on the day.  Oil filter is small type and on so tight my normal apparatus (more suited to larger filters) just slips.  Need to find a better tool tomorrow, or revert to screwdriver...

Dropped fuel tank, dumped fuel and replaced and filled.  Glad I did, fuel very yellowed and 20 odd liters of the stuff...not sure where to put it all....haha.

Battery in, have not kicked over, but lights seems to work.  One fuse blown, replaced, will be interesting to see if it blows again.

Original alfa romeo caset player still in car, she's original and unabused....but also badly maintained.  We shall see tomorrow if there is an engine worth putting a timing belt on!!

Cheers
Mike
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

OK,

so almost have the old girl started, so close to firing.  I would like to know what ignition dizzy I have, I've taken some pics.  Hope someone can confirm.  In addition, can they still be purchased, or does someone have one for sale in better condition than that shown...or...can they be refurbed?

The car has yet to fire into life, but basically got a flat battery just as it fired on all four for the first time....probably flushing the last of the crap fuel from the carbs (I droped the tank, emptied and refilled given 6+years of idel time). 

The ignition leads almost fell appart in my hands, the spark plugs were original marelli ones also looking ancient...and oil level barely registered on the dipstick....I'm expecting the worst, but she spins freely so will give benefit of doubt!

So, have a looks at the pics...believe it or not, the plugs are firing....but not so sure I would not/could not get double firing due to the state of the wires....

To recap...what brand is the ignition and how much can be purchased new?
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Garibaldi

The Alfasud is one of my favorite cars. For a barn find (kinda) the car looks to be in remarkably good condition. Depending on the severity of the rust it looks like is a great restoration project. Well done on finding it.

Sportscar Nut

Mike

Understand your point re car as cannot doors are a concern - can't think why they would sit up at rear. Whilst heavy, they typically don't sag so strange? Rust under battery tray and floor is not uncommon but is body otherwise rust free?

If car starts and runs, would eventually check oil pump as they can give disastrous problems.

S/h Marelli dizzy should be easy to find. Let me know if you decide to part out.

Good luck.
Paul

colcol

Dump all the fluids, oil, coolant, fuel, brake fluid, etc, the petrol is most likely turned to turpentine, if you have got the car to run then, dump theoil and put in a flushing oil or put some supermarket oil and run it for half an hour and dump it, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Mike

Hi guys,

thanks for the interest.  Today was a day of progress.  The car will be kept, not parted, it's too good.  Today has confirmed this.

Colcol, agree, have dumped all fluids.  It has new oil, oil filter, fuel filer, tank dropped, emptied and new fuel lines (no fires for me thanks).  New battery.  New leads, sprk plugs, and airfilter.

I drover her up the road today, coughing and spluttering.  I put this down to the dizzy, which I have confirmed as beign Marelli and absulutley f*kd.  Thanks to my good mate Dave, a much better one is in the post.

I am yet to check compression, but no spoke from exhaust underload  and backoof lloks like rings and seals ok, so fingers crossed.   Clutch on the other hand....well she's rooted.  So, if anyone knows where I can get a new one, that's on the list.

Next is cam baelt, tensioners and water pump (no more driving till it;s done).

Interestingly, this car was first registered in 1984, as it was a 12/83 build.  When it was purchased, it had airconditioning installed at same time.  I do not know whether it was since been regased with environmentally compliant gas, but being in WA, it would be nice if this were functional, so will look into it...obviously, right now, it's not funtional after 6-7 years gathering dust in a barn.

Couple of pics from end of day to follow for interest.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

Here are some pics of end of day.  It's had the dust blown off, but not yet detailed....always a bit scared about putting water on an Alfa...let alone a Sud!!
I should clarify, the car has sat since 2007/8.  History a bit sketchy, it's a WA car, so if anyone has details, that would be great.  I call it a barn find as it was part fo a larger collection, stored in a factory / barns, hence the dust.

I have to say, it is extremely originaly (factory Alfa romeo tape deck) but maintenance appears poor for at least part of life.  Rust in driver floor and under battery tray, panels appear pretty solid, but it is a sud so as I dig, I will no doubt find issues.  New (at the time) Pirelli P6000 tyres is a nice touch.

cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

aggie57

So glad to hear you're keeping it intact Mike.  These cars are seriously rare on a global basis now; its amazing just have few have survived in Europe.  Literally a handful.  Over here in Oz we forget just how quickly they fell apart on those climates; I recall a work colleague of mine in the UK buying a new one in 1981 and it had a rust hole through the middle of the door on delivery. 

Good on you for taking this one under your wing.  Last of a great series of classic Alfa's. 

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

DAMO1A

Quote from: aggie57 on April 07, 2014, 11:25:37 AM

Good on you for taking this one under your wing.  Last of a great series of classic Alfa's.

Mike

Congrats on a great find.  Even it the intial stages, the car looks great.  It is well worth the effort.  There are only a handful or so QVs around.

Mine is the same build date although has the radio aerial on the roof?  I look forward to see the progress of yours.

I have a spare Haynes Alfasud repair manual at home if you want it, just PM me your address and I will put it in the mail.

BTW, the UK "Alfasud Parts Online" site is worth a good. http://www.alfasud-parts.co.uk/catalog/.  They are good to deal with.

Best of luck
Damo
2015 Giulietta QV TCT
1990 Alfa Spider Series 4