Fetta GTV

Here are some graphs of the curves that are programmed into the 123
I am running curve E
1979 Alfetta GTV
1986 Alfa Sprint 1.5 twin carb

brook308

Quote from: Nate Dog on March 06, 2014, 05:47:24 PM
Hello gang,
Last night i started working on the distributor cap, with the idea of renewing various parts on the rotor arm, points, etc,
So, long story short it looked like this inside the distributor..

Refer to pic bellow,

What i don't understand is, how the hell did the car run at all? Clearly earth and red would've been shorting out, yet the car was running, and not badly either, relatively speaking, burning a bucket load of fuel, but not idling that badly, and running ok.
Long story short, that ain't going in, ordering this from highwood alfa :
http://www.123ignition.com.au
as finding replacement parts wasn't going anywhere quickly today.
Will post pics of the shiny new one in place, if i can get it for around $400 ill be OK with it, expensive but ok.
Get the programmable 123 if you haven't already ordered, fully programable advance and vacuum retard, also can retard on boost if you go for a turbo or supercharger later on down the track. I think the limit of boost pressure is 15 pounds which would be plenty enough fun on the street.
I run a 123 dizzy in my turbo alfetta and haven't had any problems. You can also run two curves that can be chosen by a switch on the dash.

Nate Dog

pulls shirt over head and runs around in circles!!!!!!

Tonights job,
Finish refitting header pipes (now wrapped, last pic :) )
and fit this bad boy.
Report late tonight if everything goes to plan

Nate Dog

And have to use a $#^% load of effort to make these fit back, clearance between the headers to each other was tight before, now, with the wrap on them...

Well, tongihts workout will be mostly done under the bonnet

Fetta GTV

1979 Alfetta GTV

Nate Dog

Hi,
A fair bit actually, steering rack still needs to go in, hopefully this weekend, which will also see an interior from a gtv6 going in, picked up from milano spares in melbourne for great price, in great nick so happy days.
Got the headers mounted, wasn't as bad as i feared, my mistake really, loosens EVERYTHING then slowly do all nuts up in sequence progressively, so all went on eventually. New distributor is in, i finally see what all the fuss is about. Not quite sure how it manages it, but goes from feeling like an 80/70's engine to something much more modern. Very smooth pick up. a little more power but not much more, fuel economy, well, massive difference.
Was hoping to drive to Canberra on Sunday but only if i manage to get the steering rack in, the one in there now is fine around town, but at highway speeds, front left feels pretty wayward.
So, big ticket item for weekend is the steering rack. Pics bellow.

Fetta GTV

Great progress!
Take the rack out through the drivers side wheel well, Its a bit of a jiggle but it will come out that way.
May need to undo the rear engine mount and lift the engine up a bit.

What curve did you decide to run with?
1979 Alfetta GTV

Nate Dog

Didn't get too fancy and simply listened to everything you said :)
Running curve 'e'

lifting engine a little when car is on stands.... jack under car, undo rear mount and lift very gently i take it....
Might have a friend or 2 with me when i do that, i'd rather not die alone.

Fetta GTV

Yeah! Dont jack it up so much it lifts the car, you just sometimes need a bit little bit more space to manoeuvre the rack out, it may come out OK without doing this. If your engine mounts have not sagged it probably isn't necessary
1979 Alfetta GTV

Nate Dog

quick look at the interior, looks lovely, $500 for front and back seats as well as all 4 door cards. Thanks Marc (Milano Spares, Vic)

Then theres the tie rods/ track ends, Thanks to Richard from Avanti Spares QLD, payed for them at 4pm yesterday, yet somehow they're in Sydney next morning. Makes lightning look slow.
Have my work cut out for me getting the steering sorted before this weekends drive to the hunter!