CAMS to make frontal head restraints (HANS) mandatory

Started by Evan Bottcher, March 12, 2014, 12:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

http://www.cams.com.au/media/news/latest-news/cams-to-make-frontal-head-restraints-mandatory

QuoteCAMS has resolved to introduce regulations which mandate the use of forward head restraints in accordance with FIA standards as follows:
From 1 July, 2014 all international and national circuit races, road events and off road events, except where specifically exempted due to the type of vehicle;
From 1 January, 2015, all state circuit races, road events and off road events, except where specifically exempted due to the type of vehicle.
CAMS will conduct an assessment to monitor the introduction and to determine its application to other disciplines and lower level competition.
In the meantime, competitors are reminded that the use of these restraints remains highly recommended.

My read is that this will apply to state level competition, but not to our circuit sprints.  Highly recommended however - I plan to buy a HANS this year.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfagtv58

It's a little vague on Historics, they are not really a National event, nor are they State level.  I wonder what will happen there?  I have bought one, but yet to use it.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Neil Choi

I bought one and had it on but hope not used it, if you know what I mean.

Highly recommended.

I will bet it will be part of everyone's gear in the near future, right down to club level sprints.

hammer

Mandatory at Qld Raceway and Lakeside this year. About 25 of our club members have purchased them - with $100 rebated to each member by AROCA Qld, thanks to the Col Wenzel Fund.

They feel a bit weird at first but now it just feels like part of the kit. Highly recommended even for sprinters.

Cheers,

Brent

alfagtv58

I used mine at the club sprint at Winton a couple of weeks ago, to echo Hammers comments, a bit weird and at first, but next to no difference once in the car and out on track.  I found it a bit fiddly to get settled and belts in the right spot etc, but I am sure that will become part of the routine over time.

Hammer, that's a great use of the Col Wenzel fund.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

hammer

Thanks Phil,

We were also very fortunate up here to initially negotiate a very good deal with Racer Industries on the Gold Coast for a cheap price for club members. Then Queensland Raceways took the lead and made two bulk purchases of Stand 21 HANS, on-selling them to QR licence holders for $450. These were a $699 retail item so it was a ripper deal.

Fingers crossed CAMS comes up with a similar bulk deal for its members.

For the price of a couple of tyres you can drastically increase your chances of surviving a severe frontal impact.