interior rear light of Giulietta

Started by grassy, February 12, 2014, 12:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grassy

Hi Alfaowners,
the rear interior ceiling lights on the Giulietta:
I can rock it to the left position & the light comes ON but how do I or which position would I have to place the light cover so that it comes ON when the door is Opened.
When I tried putting the clear plastic cover in the flush position, the light is OFF but rocking it further towards the right does not put the light ON with the door open. Am I doing it correctly? Has anyone come across this problem ?
Appreciate your expertise here. someone suggested in the european Alfa forum to push the plastic lens but mine is a rocking lens.
Has anyone locally encountered this problem?

Thanks
Grassy

AR753.0ltr

Have you looked through the actual car owners manual to see how to do it?

grassy

the manual says to press the lens but this one is a rocking arrangement [it does not press but rather rocks from one side to the other, like a giant switch] -so I'm asking for some help, if some one has encountered this same dilemma.

Brad M

My 147 GTA has a light like that. From memory it's 3 positions, On - Auto - Off,  Auto being in the flush position the light turns off after the boot is closed.

If I were you tonight, I would remove the shelf (connected to the hatch) covering the boot space, and experiment with the position to see if it turns off when the boot is closed.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

grassy

thanks Brad,
will check it out tonight but why the boot - I thought its supposed to be controlled by the doors opening/closing.

Joe Garra

In our Giulietta the main light is rocking and leaving it in the neutral position is how it operates with the doors opening. Pushed in one way is off, pushed in the other way is always on.
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

Brad M

Quote from: grassy on February 14, 2014, 08:27:23 PM
thanks Brad,
will check it out tonight but why the boot - I thought its supposed to be controlled by the doors opening/closing.

Sorry I misunderstood, and thought you were talking about the light in the boot area.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

grassy

thanks Joe,
checked the rocking action & its as you said. Took the lens cover off, on investigation found that the metal contact for the neutral/centre 'door On position' did not contact when lens is in this position. Gently bend the metal tags to contact, now works fine, as you mentioned.
Note: the plastic lens has plastic shaped tangs to activate/disengage the metal contacts are very fragile, as its made as part of the complete lens assembly. Be very careful not to accidentaly break them, otherwise you are up for a new assembly. I did not break mine, but just to warn others that it can be broken off easily.