Tyre advice

Started by hammer, January 24, 2014, 10:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

I'm up for a new set of tyres on our Alfasud Sprint racer. It's currently running Toyo R888s in a 185/60/13 size. These tyres have given good grip and have done 10 sprint/race meetings over the past 18 months.

I'm quite happy to run with the Toyos again but wanted to get the thoughts of others on a possible change to Yokohama AO50s in a 175/60/13 size. Obviously there'll be a little less tread width but the reports in general on the AO50s have been superb. Mates of mine in Improved Production run the AO50s in 205 and 225/50/15 sizes and reckon they are magic.

Any thoughts or other suggestions from front wheel drivers?

On my Giulietta I have run Dunlop DZ03G, Kumho V70A and now the Hankook Z214.

Cheers, Brent

Ray Pignataro

Brent can't help you with the answer but my question is on the gulietta was there any noticeable difference in the three tyres you used

hammer

Ray,

It was progressively faster on each tyre but I was running a 205/50/15 Dunlop and moved to 225/45/15 in the Kumho and then the Hankook so it's an unfair comparison. It was a full second faster around Lakeside on the wider tyres.

I've given the Sprint tyre a bit more thought and I think I'll stick with the Toyo R888 for now. If I use the same tyre this year as last year I'll be able to properly gauge the difference the 1.7 litre engine has made over the 1.5, without confusing the issue with a different tyre. So it seems I've answered my own post, but sometimes it's good to put it out there to see what others think.

Cheers Ray,

Brent

Trikes

I can help with tyres. The A050's will be 1 to 1.4+ seconds a lap faster than 888' plus they will work better cold. Been there done that with two cars now. In the State Series Hill Climbs here in Tassie the AO50's were 1.8 seconds quicker (over 1000m) because they work better in the cold. In circuit racing it was as above. Plus the Advan's have had an upgrade I'm told since I bought my last set in 2015.

wantok

Quote from: hammer on January 26, 2014, 09:49:14 AM
Ray,

It was progressively faster on each tyre but I was running a 205/50/15 Dunlop and moved to 225/45/15 in the Kumho and then the Hankook so it's an unfair comparison. It was a full second faster around Lakeside on the wider tyres.

I've given the Sprint tyre a bit more thought and I think I'll stick with the Toyo R888 for now. If I use the same tyre this year as last year I'll be able to properly gauge the difference the 1.7 litre engine has made over the 1.5, without confusing the issue with a different tyre. So it seems I've answered my own post, but sometimes it's good to put it out there to see what others think.

Cheers Ray,

Brent

Hi Brent,

Good plan, we have slowly been changing things one by one with the 156 so we can determine the effectiveness of the changes and so far it is going well with some great PB improvements
(Really need to get Alex back in the car to see its full potential though!!)

FYI, on Alex's 147 we ran Nitto NT01's and also originally on the 156 however this year we have been running A050's and have seen improvement in lap times due to them.

Finally, are you going to run in the Italian Challenge at Lakeside next month??

Cheers,
Graeme

Neil Choi

Hey there all, I will contribute with what little I know and what I have seen around the paddock.
Traditionally it has all being DZ03G and RE11S, now since A050 superseded A048 it being popular, this is what I have seen around the paddock in recent race meetings.  I think A050 is a control tyre for the E30's.  People say A050 lasts a bit longer in longer races before going off and withstand more heat cycles.  Both Bridgestone and Dunlop man said it goes in cycles and A050's is the flavour of the month.  Bridgestone, Dunlop and Yokohama will outrun Nitto's, Toyo's, Kumho and Hankook, hence you only see the former 3 at race meetings. 

Sitting in dummy grid, I look across the grid, many are now on A050, prior being on RE11S. DZ03G is still an old favourite.

Graeme, we have been running our bog standard 156 on just high performance road tyres, not R's.  The RE002 had chunks taken out on the outer shoulder.  The Direzza D1 were fantastic until someone stole one wheel.  Can't afford R's for the 156, not needed for what we are doing with it, just for fun, plus there is no power to do anything, I sip on my macchiato while going up the straight.

The 156 has had mixed mechanic issues this year, but that's what happens running an old and unknown road car which I also use as a daily.  So a bit more maintenance and checking to go in.

My 2 bob.
Neil

wantok

Quote from: Neil Choi on August 28, 2016, 11:34:05 AM
Hey there all, I will contribute with what little I know and what I have seen around the paddock.
Traditionally it has all being DZ03G and RE11S, now since A050 superseded A048 it being popular, this is what I have seen around the paddock in recent race meetings.  I think A050 is a control tyre for the E30's.  People say A050 lasts a bit longer in longer races before going off and withstand more heat cycles.  Both Bridgestone and Dunlop man said it goes in cycles and A050's is the flavour of the month.  Bridgestone, Dunlop and Yokohama will outrun Nitto's, Toyo's, Kumho and Hankook, hence you only see the former 3 at race meetings. 

Sitting in dummy grid, I look across the grid, many are now on A050, prior being on RE11S. DZ03G is still an old favourite.

Graeme, we have been running our bog standard 156 on just high performance road tyres, not R's.  The RE002 had chunks taken out on the outer shoulder.  The Direzza D1 were fantastic until someone stole one wheel.  Can't afford R's for the 156, not needed for what we are doing with it, just for fun, plus there is no power to do anything, I sip on my macchiato while going up the straight.

The 156 has had mixed mechanic issues this year, but that's what happens running an old and unknown road car which I also use as a daily.  So a bit more maintenance and checking to go in.

My 2 bob.
Neil

Hi Neil,

Still running the standard Twin Spark motor in our 156 however we have fitted a set of CR gears out of Bacci and Romano in Italy and they have really made a transformation to the car in regards to drivability and responsiveness.
Even with an old F... like me driving it has really improved lap times at Morgan Park and Lakeside.
(Unfortunately due to study and work commitments this year Alex has only driven the car on and off the trailer).

Hope to have a new head and some hot cams and throttle bodies for next year which should give us a bit more performance as we are struggling to get any more weight out of the car (though if only i could loose 10kgs it would be of great benefit to both car and driver!!!!)

Cheers,
Graeme