After a 156 manual

Started by SimonB, January 24, 2014, 12:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonB

You'll like this.....so I'm driving back home for the first time, put down the driver's window to let the wind blow in my hair (or what's left of it) and then would you believe it the switch wouldn't let me put it up again!!......you know what I did........just smiled ;D...the true alfa lover way...!!
Actually went up after a bit of twiddling ::)

extraball

hope it gives you years of service, and fun  8)

poohbah

May your window button be the only gremlin!
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

extraball

prob just the connectors on the bottom of the switch, loose or dirty.

Davidm1600

The power switches are a known minor fault.  I previously replaced the drivers' window switch (I think the cost was around the $80-100) or you could purchase a whole new unit (4 switches) for I think around about $300.   I recently had the drivers' side passenger door switch fail. Window would go down but not up.  An auto sparky sorted that out, but I was advised I really needed to get a complete new switch unit (the panel on the driver's door).  Just don't have a idle spare $300 at the moment, so it can wait.

Glad to hear you found the 156 you were after.  In terms of belts, water pumps etc, check out EB Spares in the UK.  Ditto for suspension parts etc.  I have bought all I have had to replace on my Sportwagon from them, delivery fast (3-5 days) tracked and best of all for a decent price (better than locally).  I have replaced the top control arms, still need to do the lowers, sway bar bushes (have them already) and drop links.   I also put on a set of Bilstein B4s (rather than B6s) for about $400 ish delivered to Aus.  Huge difference with just these changes.

I just had my car serviced ($145) as it had reached 127,000km and was slightly overdue for a service, the pads are still ok, ditto the rotors but I will need to replace them at the next service in about 5000 km. 

As all have said keep on top of the maintenance and it should treat you well.  All the best with your 156.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina