After a 156 manual

Started by SimonB, January 24, 2014, 12:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonB

Hi guys! I'm after a 156 manual (new front face would be nice), under 130k on the clock, budget is $8k max....... ::) I know, I know hens teeth and all that, may have to resort to jumping on a plane and going over east. Looked at gumtree etc. for a while now, not many and mostly old adds not removed. Please help, I trust you guys, true Alfa lovers look after their cars. So if you want to sell me yours I promise to look after it!! :)

poohbah

You can't have mine - but keep looking - one will turn up eventually, they are out there. Though admittedly, I was probably extremely lucky to get hold of my '01 V6 6sp for $7k two years ago. It had been advertised on Gumtree for a couple of weeks and I took a chance and drove past the blokes house on my way home from work one dark rainy night. He'd been trying to sell it for some time. Went back with cash in hand a couple of days later, and drove her home. I have seen a couple more pop up at different times since then.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

SimonB

Ah well, worth a try, you never know your luck!  I'm thinking I should be offering a grand less if the timing belt is due for replacement, I read that's what it'll cost? Am I being optimistic on the kms?.....

poohbah

Quote from: BeddenS on January 24, 2014, 07:39:54 PM
Ah well, worth a try, you never know your luck!  I'm thinking I should be offering a grand less if the timing belt is due for replacement, I read that's what it'll cost? Am I being optimistic on the kms?.....

I think if you are patient you should be able to get one in your price and km range (though maybe not a facelift). I think the important thing is to stay vigilant and be ready to move quickly when one becomes available.

You could probably go in harder for a timing belt changeover discount, especially if change is close to due. Changeover generally costs over $1k assuming you also have the water pump changed at the same time (usually recommended).  As a failed belt can pretty much cost as much as the car to fix, a hefty "risk discount" is appropriate.

One thing you could do is call the guys at Cileberti Motors in Osborne Park and ask them to keep an eye out for one. They generally have a couple for sale too.

1981 GTV

poohbah

Should have added that if you get a car under $8k you are also likely to have to spend a couple of grand on other bits and pieces - just due to general wear/tear of certain components.
            1981 GTV

Garibaldi

Poohbah, you are right about spending money on bits and pieces. The people that owned my 147 had spent $5,000 on it just before I bought it. It pays to shop around and find a car that has a good service history, receipts etc as you could easily spend close to what the car is worth on one that has not been properly maintained. :'(

poohbah

Absolutely right. When I bought mine I had a total budget of about $12k in mind, so bought mine thinking that would cover near-term repairs and maintenance.  Which is pretty close to what it has cost in the  two years I've had it (belts, idlers, cooling system, cv joints, other odds and sods -inc  towing!!!). But it was the right model, good history, and fundamentally sound. So as long as you recognise what real likely cost is upfront, you should be fine.
            1981 GTV

SimonB

Thanks guys for your input, hmmm...potential costs are mounting.....I'm thinking the Cileberti way may be the right way. They will have checked it out fully and although higher cost initially, it may work out cheaper overall. I am fortunate in that I work at home and out seeing clients once a fortnight so I won't be running up huge kms and in turn high maintenance costs...having said that I may love driving the thing so much I'll make up some excuse to go out!!

poohbah

Very sensible. Good luck with the hunt. I am envious - what can be more
fun than hunting for an Alfa, apart from buying and driving one!
            1981 GTV

Davidm1600

There currently is a '02 model (twin spark) not JTS manual sportwagon (dark blue with tan leather) with around 120,000Km for about $4-5K on ebay right now, the only possible problem for you being it is in Queensland.  It even comes with a sunroof, something my Sportwagon didn't.

I am still enjoying the practicality of my Sportwagon, though it has a few niggling problems which will be shortly attended to with its next service (next week).  Mine only has 127,000 on the clock.  I figured out in the last year I only added about 4-5,000 km to it. 

Your budget is perfectly healthy to find a nice 156 for sure.   
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

SimonB

Thanks Davidm1750, plenty over east, haven't discounted buying and getting transported over but will be a last resort, need to look at in the flesh or it feels like a punt too far!

poohbah

Check out www.cilebertimotors.com.au 

They have a manual 2.0L, 2000 156 on sale now for $8k.

Worth a look, though I note it has 220km on the clock. Still, they will have given it a good top-to-bottom check.
            1981 GTV

SimonB

Thanks poohbah, yes I saw that a while a ago, 220k put me off. Which begs an interesting question.....how many kilometres will a 4 cylinder alfa engine do before it dies, assuming it is well looked after? I'm thinking the v6 will last way longer......?

poohbah

Its a bit hard for me to give you any meaningful estimate of engine life, as my V6 has only done 145ks (I've done 30ks in the two years I've had it). The answer will always depend on how it has been maintained. As long as the timing belt, water pump, idlers, oil filter and oil have been changed according to schedule (which is why getting one with good history is so important) I reckon you could expect a longer life than 220k for the 2L four. I suggest you pose your question on the 932 series (156) thread. There will be plenty of good advice from the broader Alfa community!

If you find a high miler that has been looked after, I suspect the biggest worry won't be the engine, but other things like electrics and cooling system as they "mature".
            1981 GTV