GT headlining DIY!

Started by McAnnik, January 19, 2014, 10:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McAnnik

There is lots of stuff all over the various AlfaBB's on how to do this,read it all and take notes....after a couple of weeks ,I finally found a way to do a fair job of getting the"Halo" area glued up and looking decent. It is labour intensive to achieve this and great patience is required, you may need to take it out and restart a few times,( just on that halo section itself). AlfaBB has good photo cover of the how to go about it. search Rusty Floors on BB (page 36 i think) for the good gen. My own advice to anyone thinking to DIY headlining on 105 GT's is, get a Pro to do it, or if you really want to DIY, then buy the headliner kit (from ClassicAlfa UK) for the 105 GTA!!, much less mucking about coz of no halo section,much much easier  to  instal, BUT, don't get too excited, it is still hard work. If you have the patience to do your own door trims, then you CAN! do a headlining. A  useful TIP ( should you decide to DIY!), Velcro strips glued on the vinyl and the rear roof section can aid IMMENSLEY in fitting/ refitting excercises. Some spray adhesives don't work too well, I think the best is 3M 77. (Spray pattern), I didn't have much success with Selley's or Sika stuff, even Permatex from AutoBarn was reluctent to stick well with the recent hot spell. Don't forget, ALL glass needs to be removed from your GT for success,(except doors), plus for ease of refitting front glass, remove dashpanel as well. Best of luck..........Cheers, additional comments/ critis's welcome.

LaStregaNera

Quote from: McAnnik on January 19, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
My own advice to anyone thinking to DIY headlining on 105 GT's is, get a Pro to do it, or if you really want to DIY, then buy the headliner kit (from ClassicAlfa UK) for the 105 GTA!!, much less mucking about coz of no halo section,much much easier  to  instal, BUT, don't get too excited, it is still hard work.
This reflects my advice re: doing 105 head liners... the stock GT setup is a massive pain in the arse...
(I need to pull my side windows and trims again and have another go at the edges on mine :( )
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

McAnnik

Having done a bit more homework for my own benefit, Coz I'm fitting my own H/ Lining, I checked the AlfaBB site again for some more detailed pics and found that I had given those bent on DIY a bum steer... the page I mentioned to look for was actually # 31, but if you followed the thread you would find that earlier pages gave gen on Dynamatting the interior of your 105, good advice, but there is no need (if you read it) to encase the whole interior of the car so there is not a square mm of uncovered metal. 25% of surface area is all that is required to get full sound deadening cover.(I read that somewhere, google it..) I stuck some up on the halo area of my car as well.hence the additional Velcro and glue for support in that area. I am now about to cut and paste the rest of the h/lining as per the photos on AlfaBB.I am not expecting any dramas, just infinate patience. if I can get a few pics up of my efforts up I will do so. At the moment I am pleased with effort on the halo area. It hasn't fallen down yet in the heat wave we are having. A clue, I got my binder clips from Officeworks,$6.50 per box.. 100....needed to clamp everything in place, just follow AlfaBB. My 10 cents worth, been there.... do'in that.

dfrye

Use spray adhesive, not maxi-bond type tinned stuff and think about why the fasteners for the recessed part are stubby. Don't think to replace them and end up with pimples allover the roof!

McAnnik

Update.....,,Now the new windscreen and original rear screen have been fitted (and looking good), a point to remember is while glueing the headlining edges around the screen / body perimeters prior to the pro glass man arriving at your on site. The glued edges should be well secured and dried properly. Why? you may ask, is that during the installation of the screen the piece of cord used to lift the inner edge of the rubber over the flanged screen area,even though lubricated may well pick up the edge of the headlining and lift it off pulling the edge into the car causing some mayhem even requiring the removal of the screen to afix the headlining correctly, meaning your screen man may have to return another day to complete.This did not happen in my case but was mentioned as a possibility by the pro. It has happened!  I hope someone is reading all this guff and can remember it when the time comes for the DIYers to actually start the project. I am rather chuffed with my effort at headliner installation, It has turned out pretty good ( I would say that wouldn't I) and  thinking back I could maybe fit one in less than half the time it took to fit this one but, at the moment, I'm not going to.............

Campbeli

An old post, but I am preparing to replace the headliner on my 1970 GT junior. I have bought the snake bite material
from classic Alfa and also got a new front windscreen seal expecting that it would be a good idea to renew the seal whilst the screen is out - but after researching the job I've decided it's out of my league.
Can anyone recommend to me a motor trimmer in sydney who is experienced with this job. I'd like to do the dynamat type sound deadening too.

Many thank
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

Craig_m67

I used windscreens O'Brien here in Brisbane and explained what type of seal it was, they sent out an experienced (had done it before, originally) fella and an apprentice for transfer of knowledge. Pretty straight forward really, getting the aluminium trim in is actually the hardest part.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Campbeli

Quote from: Craig_m67 on September 29, 2017, 03:49:06 PM
I used windscreens O'Brien here in Brisbane and explained what type of seal it was, they sent out an experienced (had done it before, originally) fella and an apprentice for transfer of knowledge. Pretty straight forward really, getting the aluminium trim in is actually the hardest part.
Thanks Craig - I had read that the chrome trim was difficult so a bit nervous that some who hasn't done it before will damage it.

Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

Campbeli

Thought i'd add onto this post rather than start a new thread....i still haven't got the headlining replaced, getting closer but still have a few questions in my mind and i thought the databanks of the forum could help. Have definitely decided its not a job i'll do myself.
I've spoken to Windscreens O'Brien in Sydney, let them know i was very concerned about the risk of metal trim damage during windscreen removal so was seeking someone who had done it all before.
They have been very helpful so far, they gave two options.
1. Their first recommendation was that classic car work was best done in their workshop in Alexandria with controlled conditions and experienced hands available. For this i'd need to transport the car to Five Dock (J and A Auto Upholstery) for the head lining and then back again to Alexandria to refit the windscreens - a cost i'd prefer to avoid. I let them know that i have already purchased a replacement windscreen seal from classic alfa, which gave rise to Option 2.
2. They could send a mobile van to J and A and cut the rubber seal to minimise the risk of damaged the screen of metal trim during replacement. They said cutting the seal and refitting a new one made the job a whole lot easier.

Questions:
1. Does this seem like a reasonable approach?
2. The rear screen will have to come out too (I assume) but i have not purchased a replacement rear seal. Are rear windscreen seals available locally?
3. My front screen, given how hazy it is, may well be original. Should i go the extra $ and have it replaced too for a nice clear screen?  I recall either in this forum or the ABB forum that an Australian forum member went to considerable effect to get a batch of front windscreens made to original spec and imported, rather than use the local offering.
4. The rear screen is in fine  condition so no need to replace that - unless it breaks during removal. If so, are there replacement new rear screens or will i then need to find a second hand or NOS item?
5. I intend to have dynamat fitted to the roof. Any advice on that part of the job? How much of the roof should be done?
6. And of course i'm missing the small chrome corner trim piece (LHS and RHS)  that fit at the base of the rear pillar.....do I have any hope of finding those?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Regards
Neil

Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

Citroƫnbender

I'm speaking in generalisations here, with the presumption it won't be too different a job to many other cars of the same design era.

Your rear screen will usually have to come out, I'd suggest the rubber be replaced with either good NOS or a good reproduction. Some rubbers are still supple after 50+ years on a car, but most aren't. The rear glass will definitely be toughened, it can be lightly polished by an expert and this may be possible with great care before refitting.

If you can get a good fit and correct thickness front laminated screen, grab it. The difference is clear to see (pun intended).

I remain leery of screen fitters due to their ability for damaging paintwork in the recess during removal, and chucking in the new glass before the exposed metal is able to be properly rectified.

Campbeli

Good advice gratefully received.
I might do an inspection of the car at the motor trimmers between screen removal and replacement- although I'm sure the windscreen fitters will have an "all care no responsibility" clause

Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......

McAnnik

Hi Campbell,  As you have decided to have your HL installed by the pro's,  caution them about  the removal  and replacement of the short self tapping screws that holds the halo in place. Use the original screws or replace with others of the same length. Longer ones will protrude too far and put pimples jn the  roof. You might consider getting a HL for a GTA, there is  no halo area to mess with and is much less labour to fit. It comes pre stitched and ready to fit with wire hanger supports (which need to be bent to shape, easy!). Buy that from Classic Alfa UK.    I dont want to mention rust but when you have stripped out the rear side windows and other trim parts be prepared to find some.. Good luck, ...Cheers........Ian