Early GTV6

Started by GG105, December 31, 2013, 11:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Farquharson

spot on Paul.

Funnily enough, I was looking for a compliance plate on the weekend and couldn't find one.

I had always thought it was an 82, but there you go.

Quote from: Paul Newby on October 17, 2017, 11:47:46 AM
Quote from: aggie57 on October 14, 2017, 03:39:44 PM
Quote from: Scott Farquharson on October 13, 2017, 05:29:46 PM
Just got the reply from centro doco at Alfa on the Dulux car.

It is a very early build.

Alfa Romeo GTV 6 2.5 I.E. RHD

Production date: 1981, September 2nd

Delivery date: 1981, October 5th

Market destination: Australia

Exterior color: Rosso Alfa

Gee Scott, that really is early. One of the first cars for Australia?  Likely one of the first RHD cars too. I was in Paris in June '81 and saw my first GTV6 at an Alfa dealer there. I don't recall seeing one before then in the UK.

I believe this was the original Alfa Romeo Australia evaluation car, NSW reg LPH816 which featured in press evaluations, including Wheels magazine September 1982. (The GTV6 wasn't released here until 1983.) Gulson bought it directly from Alfa (I suspect it didn't have an Australian Compliance plate) and turned it into a Group C racer for Bathurst 1982.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Scott Farquharson

Sorry for the delay, below are the details

On 13 Sep 2017, at 11:32 pm, Centro Documentazione Museo (Alfa Romeo) <centrodocumentazione@museoalfaromeo.com> wrote:

Dear Mr Farquharson,

Following your request, we would like to inform you that from our search in the production registers concerning the chassis number you provided, the following information is available:

-              Model
-              Production date
-              Delivery date
-              Market destination
-              Exterior color

The Certificate of Origin, printed on high-quality paper, will be sent to the address you have provided. A preview will be sent to your email address. The cost of this service is 70.00€.

As an alternative, the information could be provided in the text of an e-mail. The cost of this service is 30.00 €.

If you have the current engine number, we can check whether it's original.

After you send us your confirmation by replying to this email, we will proceed to sending you the payment instructions.

Kind regards,
Valeria Falcone

Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo
Viale Alfa Romeo
I-20020 Arese (MI)
ITALY

Quote from: poohbah on October 13, 2017, 07:43:01 PM
Scott, how did you get the info from centrodocumentazione, and did they charge you? They provided me the info on my '81 GTV for free back in 2015, but there are a few folk on here who have asked for info since without luck. They may be interested in how to go about getting the info now and what charges may apply.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Scott Farquharson

Yes it is.  Ray had always said it was the first, I'd just always thought it was an 82.

Quote from: aggie57 on October 14, 2017, 03:39:44 PM
Quote from: Scott Farquharson on October 13, 2017, 05:29:46 PM
Just got the reply from centro doco at Alfa on the Dulux car.

It is a very early build.

Alfa Romeo GTV 6 2.5 I.E. RHD

Production date: 1981, September 2nd

Delivery date: 1981, October 5th

Market destination: Australia

Exterior color: Rosso Alfa

Gee Scott, that really is early. One of the first cars for Australia?  Likely one of the first RHD cars too. I was in Paris in June '81 and saw my first GTV6 at an Alfa dealer there. I don't recall seeing one before then in the UK.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

GG105

Good stuff Scott, that all makes sense. My view is that the batch of cars of Ozzie split dash cars that were sold were probably all built in early 82, January through March and probably all red. They had either charcoal or beige trim and a mix of sunroof and non sunroof, most had sunroofs. None of them had compliance plates and they were all registered as 2 litres.

Cheers
John
1959 Giulietta Sprint
1969 GT 1300 Junior
1970 Giulia 1300 TI
1975 Ferrari 365 GT4
1990 Mazda MX5
2005 BMW 330Ci
2014 Porsche Turbo

kartone

Spot on GG105. I owned one of the first five imported and another belonged to a girl in my neighborhood: all red, all registered as 2 litres, mine black velour & no roof, hers tan leather with roof!
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

GG105

The GTV6 Clarkson drives in S3 Ep7 of The Grand Tour is a fairly rare car. It is an 81 or 82 model with the early trim and the UK only interim dash, as shown in an earlier thread in this blog. The split dash was rejected by the UK distributors.

The car shows some typical GTV6 interior issues, including baggy sunvisors and so-so headlining. What I did notice, though, was how straight the bumpers are. I guess you have a choice, UK car with lots of rust and straight bumpers or Oz car with warped bumpers but little rust 8)
1959 Giulietta Sprint
1969 GT 1300 Junior
1970 Giulia 1300 TI
1975 Ferrari 365 GT4
1990 Mazda MX5
2005 BMW 330Ci
2014 Porsche Turbo

ken mcmillan

I just parked an 83 split dash GTV6 in need of restoration. In red with sunroof. I will be looking to lean on members expierence to find bits and bobs. First cab off the rank I need is a bonnet, any hint appreciated