164 3.0 V6 track project

Started by Cool Jesus, December 18, 2013, 03:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaStregaNera

If it has a non leaking oil fed detensioner, don't mess with it. Buy a seal kit and have it handy for when the seals start leaking, but otherwise, leave it be!
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Cool Jesus

Thanks Ben, I'll give it a good blessing and leave it be  8)
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

GR-124

Hey CJ has this thing hit the track? any updates?

Cool Jesus

Man, two teenagers, a wife, two dogs, and two seperate house moves and 4 cars to keep on the road  :-[
Damn it's been heart wrenching, but I finally collated a bunch of service items for the engine. Have been posting elsewhere about where to source valve shims as I'll be checking clearances.
Either way I'll have some news to post soon and maybe some track work before the end of the year. I almost snatched up some performance cams just recently pistes on here, but had to rain myself in from that excitement. Gotta keep it simple and cheap, it's sprints and the go fast bits can come later.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

GR-124

yep I know how you feel, I said to my wife recently, If I had two life times I may fit everything in I would like to do. The problem with us average Joes that we are usually money and time poor.
I would have to hold back as well, looking for the go fast bits.
I think I speak for a few of us here when I say there's something appealing about getting a budget road car onto the track with small amount of coin thrown at it.

V AR 164

I agree GR, but at the end of the day, just enjoy it. You may not have the best and fastest car, but you still can have heaps of fun, and thats all that matters.

Any future plans for it CJ? I reckon that the stock engine has enough power, and adding more won't really help you at this stage. Get a good set of tyres and some lightweight wheels to put on, grab a racing seat and a 4 point harness (probably have to anyway for rules and regs) and possibly get a set of coilovers. This would help alot more tham cams and such IMO.

Thanks, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Cool Jesus on July 14, 2015, 07:50:27 AM
Gotta keep it simple and cheap, it's sprints and the go fast bits can come later.

Can't agree more.  I feel like too many people don't get out there and have a go at the sprints because they think they need to throw lots of time and money to prepare a car to go fast.  For some it's a lack of awareness, for some it's ego getting in the way.  To go and do a supersprint you need a $29 fire extinguisher and a loan of your mate's motorbike helmet.  Take your stock car out there, you'll be plenty fast enough to thrill yourself and in sprints you're just racing against your own times anyway.  Get a feel for how the stock car handles, and when you do (inevitably) start making some modifications do them one at a time and you'll know what difference they make - that's much more satisfying.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

ARQ164 Shane

How that a great post, I how just wrecked a 164 92 auto and buying a white 164q ,
I've  been toying with the idea of strut rods on the rear with rose joints.
I put the 3lt into my 75.

anyway great post
cheers Shane
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Cool Jesus

That's what its all about, getting onto the track for minimal outlay to release the inner hoon. My issue is the 164, before coming under my ownership, had sat round for 8+ years. As such, I want (to the best of my know how) to make sure it will last the day. So I'm spending time and resources on replacing, renewing, refurbishing most of the service and wear items, paying particualr attention to anything rubber. Of course my inner hoon starts to get excited as I'm playing around with the car and i see new posts and web items of go fast bits for the 164. I need to keep reminding myself that its entry level at this stage, just get the damn thing on the track. Having just moved 2 x homes (me and the kids), I've just got to do a major service on the Spider and I can then start throwing all the service/new bits I've been purchasing onto the 164 and crank it over. Yep, I don't even know if it will run? I cranked it over when I first picked it up and immediately stopped, realising that the timing belt was way way way too old for that stupid act.  :o

Anyhow, stay tuned, will have some progress/build updates soon.   8)
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Cool Jesus on August 06, 2015, 08:27:15 AM
That's what its all about, getting onto the track for minimal outlay to release the inner hoon.

Sounds great, hope you enjoy it real soon!

When you get there, I suggest testing how the car handles with the extra rear bar unhooked - just so you can see what a difference it makes.  Change one thing and one thing only at a time, so you have some idea of which changes have been effective and how to feel the difference.  Just a suggestion.

A manual 164 should be a great fun and cheap track car, and almost anything you do to it will make it better.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal