156 Pollen Filter

Started by colcol, November 30, 2013, 09:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Just changed the pollen filter in the 156 JTS, a bit of dirt and leaves in it, the 156 has a ordinary air conditioner, due to small vents and when the pollen filters clog, it goes from ordinary to poor, they have been in 4 years, i last changed in 2,009 and it had an original 1 piece filter that was 7 years old, the 1 piece filters are installed when the cars are being made and they are easier to get in, but harder to get in when the car has a dashboard installed, so the replacement is a 2 piece to allow easier installation.
147 owners have the same climate control airconditioners as the 156, except it works better because it has bigger vents, but 147 owners should still change their pollen filter on time, as a clogged pollen filter reduces flow and is less effective in filtering out pollen which causes hay fever.
The series 1 1997 - 2002, 156 had a different airconditioner to the later 156's, the early ones had their pollen filters under the windscreen on the left in the engine bay, i know cause i looked for it there years ago when i tried to find it,...thats what the instructions said anyway!, the original climate control airconditioners that were first seen on the 147 were picked up in the series 2 156 2002 onwards, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Alfapride

Thanks col for the tips! Do you know where the pollen filter is on the 147??
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

colcol

Yes it is in the place as it is on the 156, on the left hand side of the central, where it used to be called the 'transmission tunnel', the 147 and 156 use the same unit, an 'L' shaped bracket holds the pollen filters in, the 'L' bracket is held in by 3 hexagon headed self tappers, check other UK  forums for better information....it is not an easy job, very hard to get , very difficult to co-ordinate properly, as you are lying on back on the passenger seat upside down, not the job if you are unfit and overweight, like Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Garibaldi

Quote from: colcol on December 01, 2013, 08:35:25 PM
Yes it is in the place as it is on the 156, on the left hand side of the central, where it used to be called the 'transmission tunnel', the 147 and 156 use the same unit, an 'L' shaped bracket holds the pollen filters in, the 'L' bracket is held in by 3 hexagon headed self tappers, check other UK  forums for better information....it is not an easy job, very hard to get , very difficult to co-ordinate properly, as you are lying on back on the passenger seat upside down, not the job if you are unfit and overweight, like Colin.

That's why I get the guys who service my car to change it for me.

colcol

But no pain and no gain, i had a sore neck for a day, but tried to convince myself it was worth it and you have to fit the pollen filters a particular way, with the arrows pointing from the engine to the passenger compartment, to indicate airflow, hard to configure when lying on your back, Colin.