159 clutch switch

Started by Cool Jesus, October 29, 2013, 02:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool Jesus

Thought I'd post a quick one here for 159 owners.
I helped out the new owner of my 159 this weekend with a quick fix.
Background
Sold him my 2010 159 2.2litre JTS a few months ago and per Murphy's law, the auto start using the clutch stopped working and the hill hold warning came up aswell. Well we diagnosed it via internet to being a clutch switch problem. So via eper we found the switch part number and he purchased it off eBay I think. Anyhow the switch which arrived looked exactly like a brake switch and infact was named as such, but was assured by the seller it was the right part.
We pulled the dash out under the steering colomn and couldn't spot this switch off the clutch pedal, then I noticed a connector with 2 of 3 wires pulled out of it, snapped off from its pins. Well the switch resembled nothing like the brake switch. It was a flat, micro switch style mechanism with an arm swinging from a pin on the pedal. Anyhow, pulled the connector apart, resoldered the wires carefully directly to the pins and happy days. The 159 was back to normal.
Wherever the wire harness was secured to had come loose and found its way in the path of the swinging clutch pedal which over time the wiring work its way to a breaking point and pulled the cables out from the connector.
So if you loose hill hold function, clutch auto start or even cruise control functionality your best bet is the clutch switch or connector has gone open circuit.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Cool Jesus

Should add also. There's a write up on how to access the switch somewhere but on this series for access we also need to remove the footwell duct, 1 screw. Then disconnect the (I think) steering colomn locking device connector. Other than that it's basically dusconnecting the battery, wait 15 or so minutes, remove drivers knee airbag and surround footwell panels.
Very easy job, about an hour all up and two brownies  ::)
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS