my 2600

Started by bootlegger, November 06, 2013, 11:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bootlegger

Hi my name is dave and im relatively new to this forum.
Ive finally paid for my new project. A really clean 2600 coupe.
It was restored 15 years ago but never completed. Its been in storage ever since. All it needs is the engine assembled and refitted and a couple of ither small things.
I cant wait to give it a run.

alfagtv58

Welcome!

I was lucky enough to have a friend of mine offer me a drive of his 2600 earlier this year.  What a wonderful GT car, I can just imagine eating up many miles in a 2600.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

AikenDrum105

Yes P - I'd love to rebuild a 2600 engine and apply a little ITB/ECU magic :)     

Beautiful car Dave - welcome to the forums !   There'll be a few sprints to drool over at Spetaccolo I'm sure,  are you coming along ?

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/component/option,com_jcalpro/Itemid,67/extmode,view/extid,514/

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Luna Rossa

G'day Dave,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on what looks like a very nice example of a 2600 Sprint. Is it a series II? What year is it?
Good luck getting her running. They are such a pleasure to cruise in and they sure turn heads. You are a man of very refined taste.

LR
Current Cars
2013 Giulietta
1970 GT Veloce
1963 2600 Sprint

Past
1970 GT Junior 1300
2009 159 2.2 Litre JTS Ti

bootlegger

Thanks for the welcome guys. Im located in sydney so as much as id love to go to that show its probably not going happen.
Sorry to sound a bit ignorant but im not sure what model it is.
It was sitting in the shed and I just bought it. It just looked like it needed a new home.
I run a small car restoration business (just myself and another guy) and im a bit of a car bike truck and antique boat collector.
There is no rhyme or reason to what I collect.
I have two 2600sprints now. This one and a wreck that I am using as a donor car for a maserati 450s replica I want to create.
some of my toys include a 66 427 corvette , 67ss396 impala coupe, a rolls merlin powered hydroplane..
I just finished a full restor of an eh holden panel van for myself.
I have a couple of italian toys also.
1958 fiat 500 race car that has been stretched three feet and fitted with an austin healy sprite engine. It held the oran park lap record in 61 and 62.
I also have two italian boats. A 1958 abbatte runabout and a 1950s 12 ft 6 hydroplane with an 1100 cc fiat engine with abarth internals.
My plan for the 2600 is to finally finish the resto. I hope to start assembling the engine next week. All the machining is
Done

EZEE

congratulations - great cars indeed....if you need to see one that is complete for reference or measurements etc...........let me know, I have a couple.

Emmanuel

bootlegger

Quote from: EZEE on November 15, 2013, 11:10:41 PM
congratulations - great cars indeed....if you need to see one that is complete for reference or measurements etc...........let me know, I have a couple.

Emmanuel

Thanks ill take you up on that. The car is still at the guys place. Im trying to make room for it before I bring it home.
Here is my number 0413766501 or my email davehotboats@hotmail.com

bootlegger

I finally made a start on assembling the engine todsy. I havent put one of these together before so I had to get my head around italian engineering.
Anyway I laid everything out and took stock of what I have. Evrything is new.
The block had been modified to take ford main bearings.
When I bolted in the crank the shaft didnt turn  on number six journal.
Dejected I pulled the crank back out, loaded the whole lot into the back of my car.
Tomorrow ill take it to my crankshaft guy and get him to do some measuring and see whats going on.
There is always next week.

bootlegger

I got the block back from my crankshaft guy.
Turns out the main bearings are off a triumph. Also they have been hand sized for each journal.
My guy spent four hours rearranging the bearings over and over till the crank spun freely.
Yesterday I picked up the head that came with the car. It had heaps of work done to it including sevral inserts and new hardened valve seats.
I wasnt real happy with the quality of the work so I grabbed a spare head I have and took the whole lot to another guy that does my head work.
The project came with new valves, springs etc. He should be able to build me a good head from all the parts.
Tomorrow ill start assembling the bottom end.
They really are a nice engine.

bootlegger

I got the crankshaft in today. It spins freely now.
I fitted the liners and checked the clearances of the rings. The gaps are a bit tight so ill have to clearance them all.
A job for next week. Hopefully ill have the bottom end finished by the time the head is ready.

bootlegger

Im making steady progress on my engine.
The head came back on thursday  the guy did a great job. It seemed kinda expensive at $1100 but considering the mess the other guy made of the other head and what he charged im figuring I got what I paid for and I know its right..
Ive now fitted the crank and pistons into the block.
I also poured por tank sealer around the base of the liners.
It should prevent any water leaks Into the crankcase.
Ill get back to the engine after Christmas.  Ive got customers projects to get out.

AndrewK

Good progress Dave, will be great to see running.

bootlegger

Thanks I cant wait to see it running. Ive never driven one.

bootlegger

Well I got started on the engine rebuild. The bottom end is all together now. Hopefully ill have the top end back on tomorrow and I can start detailing and hanging all the accessories off it.
Im hoping to take it to auto italia at the end of march. Fingers crossed.