Electochromic Rearview Mirror

Started by Red Giul, August 09, 2013, 02:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Giul

Could someone educate me on how the electrochromic rearview mirror works in the new Giulietta, please? According to the user manual, it should work automatically. There is no switch to turn it on/off, either. But, there are two little LEDs on the frame of the mirror that never come on. I know in my VW, there is a switch on the mirror. When it is pressed, a little green LED comes on. But there is no such indication in the Giulietta to show if it's on or off. Thanks.

shiny_car

If it's like the 159 mirror, it has a push button switch on the underside edge, below where it's written 'auto'. There is an 'indicator' to confirm it is switched on; not an LED though, just a peek hole through which it changes to 'green' when on; a second peek hole for the sensor.

Firstly, your car obviously has to have the electrochromic mirror! Not wanting to sound like a dick, but are you sure it's fitted?

If no-one confirms before me, take a photo and show us. If there's no obvious button/sensor/indicator hole, then chances are it's not fitted to your vehicle.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Red Giul

There is an indicator on the front which never comes on. There is also a sensor on the front as well as on the back facing the windscreen. Also, according to the user manual it is standard on all Giulietta models including QV. But, I just never see the indicator on and there is not a switch to turn it on.

Cool Jesus

The designers have gone for the electrochromatics to be set on auto full time. Hence making an on/off button is redundant. Mine was on fulltime auto in the 159, why would you have any other way? The LEDs you mention are actually sensors for the climate control and day/night sensor for the chromatics to work. The owner's manual does say it reverts to day use when put into reverse. Change between reverse and forward and see if you notice a change in the tint? It would be more noticeable at night with headlights behind you, try it at a set of lights and freak out the guy behind you  8)
Alternatively a little flash light across the sensors should show a change in the tint at night...
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Evan Bottcher

FWIW I find the electrochromatic rear-view on our 159 quite irritating if I'm in traffic at night, I usually turn it off.  I find it affects my depth perception looking in the mirror, making it difficult to see how far behind cars are.  Further out of town on the highway it's excellent.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Red Giul

thanks Cool Jesus. I'll give all that a try.

Red Giul

Reporting back. Tried with a touch at night. The mirror darkened considerably. It works. Thanks again for all your input.