Oil filter for 1988 33 1.7ie 8V

Started by Thevak, October 29, 2013, 09:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thevak

Can anyone suggest the cheapest option for an oil filter for a33 1.7IE? The best I could find is from Repco at $55.
1970 GT Junior 1300
2002 147
1988 33 1.7EI

Frank Musco

colcol

Use a Repco brand oil filter, pattern replacement for Z89, usually under $10, Z89, very common oil filter, have also used Z63 from Volkswagon, Audi, BMW, common as, Euro Car Parts had Mahle oil filter for about $7....min 5 only per order, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Steve S

$55! What filter was that?

Ryco lists a Z421 which has an anti siphon valve. Z89A is the same but without ASV. These are the big filters. There are small filters that match up also Z418 (without ASV), Z614 (with ASV). The list goes on..

I know these cars take the same filter as my Fiat. When I was looking it always came up with Alfa 33 also. I bought a UFI 23.444.00 from Italian Automotive Spares in Brunswick East, about $22.

UFI catalogue lists the 23.444.00 and about 3 others, take your pick.

http://www.ufi-aftermarket.com/catalogue/menu/menu.php?lingua=en

colcol

The Alfa 33 oil filters that i have come across such as Ryco, Mahle, Repco and F.S.A. are big filters and the Genuine Alfa Romeo, [ pre 86 ] and UFI are small filters, the difference i was told, was that the smaller ones build up pressure quicker as there is less to fill up, but have less filtering capacity than the bigger ones, may be an old wives tale that one, just make sure that they are a known brand and that they are changed on time, they have a bypass valve, that when they are clogged, the oil is bypassed around the filter, so the motor gets dirty unfiltered oil, which is better than no oil, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sportscar Nut

Believe Uncle Col is correct as usual! Benincas told me years ago to only use the factory filters due to the size issue as Col explained. These days can easily get a cheap non Alfa filter the same size and think I last paid 20 bucks (from Benincas).

Isn't there also something specific about the spring inside the filter from memory (or is that the anti siphon valve)??

Paul

Domenic

Hey Paul,

Yes there is something specific about the spring.

Even though there are a range of filters that will fit, the spring holds the valve open/shut to a certain pressure.
Some filters it may be 1.0Bar others 1.2Bar or 1.5Bar. So Colin was pretty spot on with the pressure comment and allowing oil to pass through.
There are 3 different sized oil filters for the 33's that UFI list.
One is the big one with the valve pressure 0.7Bar, a smaller one with 1.6Bar and the third for the 16v same size as the second one and 1.6Bar, but the difference is that the valve is towards the middle of the filter, whereas the other is right at the start just after the filters thread to screw it onto the car.

So yes people will say that they all fit, as long as the thread is the same, but technically there are differences, especially internally, so it's always good practice to get the right one for the car.

Cheers
Dom

Steve S

Quote from: POC on October 30, 2013, 09:56:52 PM

Isn't there also something specific about the spring inside the filter from memory (or is that the anti siphon valve)??

Paul

The spring you can see at the seal end is most likely part of the anti siphon valve. The by pass valve is usually at the other end of the can.

Looking at the UFI catalogue again, there are only 2 filters if you go strictly by their listings - 23.127.05 (big) and 23.444.00 (small).

I like to check the Mann + Hummel filter catalogue personally, and they list only one filter - W717/2 which is a UFI 23.444.00.

All these listings have an anti siphon valve so I would use a filter with one. I would not worry about small vs big as the smallest one will be more than adequate for the job and there is no guarantee the larger one will do anything for your engine other than hold more oil. I would be happy to use any of these

Z421 - Big
23.127.05 - Big
23.444.00 - Small

Thevak

Ended up getting a ryco Z421 which is a small filter and cost was 2 for $33. So happy with the outcome. Now to get Started on preparing the car for A roadworthy and club permit.
1970 GT Junior 1300
2002 147
1988 33 1.7EI