10-60 Castrol Edge

Started by colcol, October 07, 2013, 06:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Castrol 10-60 Edge oil is on the cheap at the moment at Repco, it is $60 for 5 litres, it is the oil you use in a 156 JTS or a twin spark that is using a bit of oil or has high klms, i don't work for Repco, but work up the road from Repco and was buying something boring when i noticed it, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Steve S

It seems that there is always a special on somewhere. Ripco now have 25% off all jugs of oil.

colcol

At times Repco, Supercheap and Autobahn have oil wars, so whoever sells the most, gets a bigger discount next time, the $60 Castrol Edge is usually $84, [if you didn't know better], just wait and stock up, Nulon also do a 10-60 Fully Synthetic, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

lombardi

On the subject of Castrol, why is it that they differentiate between workshop professional motor oil and the one that u n me can buy at the shops, is the oil for trade only superior-- this was a argument put to me years ago by a mechanic that for this reason would only use Valvoline.
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

colcol

Lombardi, never heard of proffesional vs backyarders oil, but then i don't know much, as long as the specs and ratings are ok, then i use it, Service providers have usually a deal with an oil company to only use their product.
In the V-8 Touring Cars, some teams are sponsored by oil companies and the agreement is they only use their products.....there was a leading team that had a string of component failures due to the oil they were running so they switched to a superior oil, made by their rivals, but to keep the peace, when they purchased their rivals oil, it was tipped into their own sponsors oil bottles, so no one was the wiser, true story.
As stated before at one stage Holden Deallers used Castrol, cause they sponsored Brocky, then with Group A he was Sponsored by Mobil and some of the dealers went to Mobil, Ford Dealers like Castrol, cause they sponsor Ford Performance Racing.
Alfa Romeo Dealers like Selenia, because that is the oil company that Fiat own.
Back in the olden days when 33's were new cars and Alfa Romeo was independant, according to my service manual the only oil to use in your 33 was Shell, Mobil, Agip, IP, Castrol or any other leading oil that has the correct specifications, mind you Alfa Romeo didn't have any oil companies in their portfolio, Colin.

bteoh

Just wondering about oils for the 156 JTS Selespeed and 156 GTA ; Penrite recommends  10 tenths 10w-70 ; Castrol 10w-60 SN
Not sure what Alfa recommends for the GTA but I thought it was Selenia 10w-40? If so, would the Penrite and Castrol be too thick at 10w-70 or 10w-60?
Also have a few 5L packs of Castrol Edge 10w-60 in my stockpile but was wondering if the new 10w-60 SN is significantly different?
I have been using Penrite 10 tenths 10w-70 and now 5w-60 in my 156 JTS for about 7-8 months but now have suffered catalytic convertor failure. Car has done 105,000kms and am not sure if the increased zinc content in the Penrite has affected the cat.
Quite confused about oils.

Steve S

Quote from: lombardi on October 18, 2013, 11:06:11 AM
On the subject of Castrol, why is it that they differentiate between workshop professional motor oil and the one that u n me can buy at the shops, is the oil for trade only superior-- this was a argument put to me years ago by a mechanic that for this reason would only use Valvoline.

Castrol make a huge number of lubricants for different applications and IMO it's just too difficult to market all of them to the general public so they shrink the retail range to what they think is best for the market, and what ties in with their marketing strategy.

Depending on which market, Castrol sell a different range of products at the retail level. I guess they sell the products they think are most likely to sell. e.g. All the Edge oils here are ACEA A3 rated but in the USA they are mostly SN/GF-5 and in the UK they are mostly ACEA C3.

The Castrol Professional series is not better it is just different, mainly formulated for different (i.e. newer vehicle) applications and sometimes for a larger number of approvals so that a workshop can buy in bulk and save. They are really intended to meet the warranty requirements for newer cars.

Steve S

Quote from: bteoh on October 18, 2013, 12:52:50 PM
Just wondering about oils for the 156 JTS Selespeed and 156 GTA ; Penrite recommends  10 tenths 10w-70 ; Castrol 10w-60 SN
Not sure what Alfa recommends for the GTA but I thought it was Selenia 10w-40? If so, would the Penrite and Castrol be too thick at 10w-70 or 10w-60?
Also have a few 5L packs of Castrol Edge 10w-60 in my stockpile but was wondering if the new 10w-60 SN is significantly different?
I have been using Penrite 10 tenths 10w-70 and now 5w-60 in my 156 JTS for about 7-8 months but now have suffered catalytic convertor failure. Car has done 105,000kms and am not sure if the increased zinc content in the Penrite has affected the cat.
Quite confused about oils.

First off Penrite has the extra 10 policy which is nothing more than marketing strategy. They are still playing the public on the "Australian conditions" baloney to get sales. For the most part if the manufacturers specifies 10w40, they don't just pull that number out of thin air, so you do not need to arbitrarily use a 10w50 in place of a 10w40.

Check your owners manual for the correct viscosity grade. JTS is most likely 10w60. Stay away from 10w70 IMO. 10w60 or 5w60 is the correct equivalent grade. GTAs spec 10w40 or 10w60 for sporty conditions. Since Alfa say either is ok you can use either but 99% of people wont be driving "sporty" around urban Australia.

What is the exact version of Castrol Edge 10w60 that you have? The difference between SM and SN for example is minimal, the older stuff is more than serviceable. The API approvals lke SN are not very strict anyway. The ACEA and other manufacturer approvals like LL-01, 229.5 etc are for more strict.

JTS motors consume oil and as such the cats usually don't last very long. It is not a result of using Penrite oil. All oil contains phosphorous which will poisen the cat if burnt off and set down the exhaust. Selena Racing contains a good fair dose of the stuff and that is Alfa's recommendation. Lower phosporous lubricants do not stop poisening the cat, they just slow it down a little but they wll still eventually fail. You could try a "mid saps" lubricant (ACEA C3 -10 rated) if you want to try and extend the life of the cat but there are not many around in a 10w60.

bteoh

Thanks Steve,
Always a wealth of knowledge. Will try to see what Edge 10w-60 that I have.
Cheers :)

Campbeli

Searched for Castrol edge (as an alternative to Selenia racing) and found this thread.
Edge is 1/2 price at repco today, got 5l of 10w-60 for $42

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Present:
1970 GT Junior
2004 147 T Spark

Past:
1979 Alfetta GT
1978 Alfasud ti
1999 156 T spark

Future:
New Giulia.......