Giulietta Acceleration

Started by Red Giul, August 26, 2013, 04:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Giul

I am still trying to get to know my new Giulietta better and also to know Alfa Romeo cars better in general. I notice something with my Giulietta. If I slow down to make a turn onto an uphill road then accelerate, it sometimes hesitate to accelerate. I then have to push it harder to get it going. Also. sometimes when the car is cold, if I am a little bit light on the accelerator, I can almost feel the car 'jitter' until I push it harder. I must admit that I am not a 'lead foot'. I remember the dealer telling me that the car is 'happier being pushed'. I didn't really get what he meant. Is this what he meant and I need to push the accelerator harder?

colcol

You have to 'give it some welly', that is push harder on the loud pedal so that the turbo can build up some boost, because of the small size of the engine, it acts like a small engine when 'off boost', but when the turbo or hairdryer starts spinning enjoy!.
In the olden days of Turbo Skylines and Sierras, the drivers used to have their left foot on the brake with their right foot on the accelerator, building up boost for good takeoffs.
If your car has a DNA switch, try fiddling around with it, the MiTo i had last year was transformed by switching around the DNA switch, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Red Giul

Thanks Colin for the advice. Yes, it does have 'DNA'. When it's on 'D', it just wants to go and you can't hold it back.

Meng

Alfa Romeo 156 GTA 3.2 V6

Joe Garra

I always drive our Giulietta in D. Nothing wrong with it wanting to go  ;D
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

Red Giul

Good on you, Joe. 'D' for 'Darn Good Fun'.

John Hanslow

Also I would ensure I have 98 RON fuel for best performance.

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Red Giul

colcol

Interesting the other week in the V-8 taxi's at Winton, they allowed the 2 Norton Nissans to use petrol with less ethanol than the other teams, so they didn't get anymore power, but they used less petrol over the distance, so instead of having to start with say 90 litres they start with 80 litres and therefor the cars are 10 kilograms lighter on fuel than they would have been if they had used the full ethanol blend.
This wasn't 'jungle juice', but if you can get the Nortan Nissans down to the minimum weight or you can put that weight down low or where it would be an advantage, the results were a one - two for the Nissan Altima's.
The moaning has already began from the other teams, and i agree with the other teams that they all should be handicaped the same with an equal amount of ethanol.
And people put ethanol in their cars so they can go less distance on a litre?, uncle Col steers clear of ethanol, unless he is about to run out, but i have heard that its not too bad for fuel injection, but keep it away from carby cars [like 33's!], Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Had a freind who purchased a new Guilietta from Damon at Lance Dixon in Doncaster, it has the 125 kilowatt motor, driving it back home in the country, he got 5.1 litres per 100 kilometres at a constant 95 with the cruise control engaged.
This means nothing to me so i worked it out in old style figures i understand, 55 Miles per gallon, i understand that, very impressive.....International Engine of the year 2,010, take a bow, Colin.

billyboy

8)
always drive your Giulietta in dynamic mode and always with the start/stop feature off.  I have a manual as I preferred it to the semi-auto thingy.  And of course always use 98 RON petrol and always drive fast!  It is the only way to drive Alfas.  Pointless ticking around town in them.  they need to be driven.  Also in Dynamic mode there is no turbo lag at all.

cheers

extraball

my alfa has been sitting around too much of late, and it felt a bit sluggish. I took her on good burn today, am sure a few cows would've spilt their milk when they heard me scream past :)

colcol

You need to go on or organise a sunday run for your division of the Alfa Romeo club, our Victorian Sunday run is next is on this week with a run to Maldon with the Goldfields chapter, Colin.