Giulietta Distinctive Fuel Consumption

Started by Red Giul, August 07, 2013, 05:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Giul

Have only had my Giulietta Distinctive (MultiAir 1.4L 125KW, AUTO TCT) for a few weeks. Noticed that the fuel consumption is different from the claimed figures. I do drive in the morning and afternoon traffic in Melbourne. My average speed is around 25 km and I get about 10L per100km. I am just wondering how my fuel consumption compare to other user's? Thank you all in advance for your input.

colcol

Your fuel consumption will be higher when the car is new, as everything is tight, and you have to wait for all parts to free up, but in the real world, no one gets the type of fuel consumption claimed on the windscreen sticker, it is so you can compare car A to car B, as they put the cars on a test which is the same for them all, you will get better fuel consumption with a higher octane rating petrol, as it will give you a bigger bang, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Red Giul

Thanks Colin. I filled the first tank with 95 and just filled up again with 98. I can feel the difference in the car using 98. May be it's just in my head.

colcol

No, i think that the engine advances the ignition as far as it will go without pre-detonating or pinging, so that you get better effecient running of the engine, high compression engines are more effecient, but need the good fuel to do it, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Garibaldi

Col, I've used 95 and 98 in my 147 and I really can't feel any difference in performance. I would love to put it on the dyno with each fuel and see what the real difference is. Has anyone ever done this? Gary

colcol

I have had people tell me that when they fillup with no brand unleaded, their cars don't go as far on a tank as 95 or 98, i have used normal unleaded fuel in the 33 and it pings it head off, in the 156 the knock sensors can hear the pre-detonation, and retard the ignition and or richen up the mixture, i cannot honestly tell the difference powerwise, cause i drive like an old women in a Yaris, the difference between 95 and 98 would be small, but i know that Nissan GTR's and Subaru WRX's drivers all recomend the 98 for power and even say which brand is best, Colin.

Steve S

The majority of European cars are designed to run on 95RON. If you have one of these cars there will be no performance gain running on 98. Performance Japanese cars are designed to to on 100RON so 98 should perform better than 95.

Unless you log the average of at least 10 tanks of fuel I don't believe you can measure an accurate difference in economy between any fuel type. I have see people try to measure the difference in fuel economy by using different oil grades (viscosity) and it is possible but any single data point can be up or down by quite a lot.