Wheel nuts for racing car or just in general use

Started by Neil Choi, July 29, 2013, 07:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick A

Quote from: hmd on May 19, 2014, 09:02:58 PM
I bought a set on eBay, $50. After repeated use their soft thread would strip against the steel studs.
Unless you get a good quality set like a genuine Rays Engineering from Japan which would cost about $200 a set. Don't bother.

And just for you Neil, they weigh 26 grams each compared to steel ones which weigh 43 grams. Saving of 272g for 16, just don't eat breakfast ;)

Or take a shit before you leave for the track.

Mick A

Quote from: colcol on May 20, 2014, 02:28:52 PM
But with the lighter nuts, you would save some unsprung weight which would help the handling

It's not F1 Colin, it will make no difference on vehicles at this level of racing!

LaStregaNera

I'd take nuts that aren't going to fatigue the thread out and fail over saving 100gm per wheel...
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

festy

I use open ended steel 'acorn' nuts - they're 17mm across the flats, 20mm of thread, and weigh ~30g each (compared to about 60g for the wheel nuts they replaced).

hmd

Quote from: Choderboy on May 21, 2014, 11:07:59 PM
Quote from: hmd on May 19, 2014, 09:02:58 PM
I bought a set on eBay, $50. After repeated use their soft thread would strip against the steel studs.
Unless you get a good quality set like a genuine Rays Engineering from Japan which would cost about $200 a set. Don't bother.

And just for you Neil, they weigh 26 grams each compared to steel ones which weigh 43 grams. Saving of 272g for 16, just don't eat breakfast ;)

Or take a shit before you leave for the track.

Is that the reason for you were often seen frequented the toilet block at Philip Island.