'91 33 16v not starting?

Started by Andiroid, July 21, 2013, 09:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andiroid

I just got in my car to go and it won't start. Kicks over nice and healthy but won't go.

Also noticing as I'm turning it over, the speedo goes way up and the mileage starts to turn over???!!

Has fuel, nice strong battery, drove it into the garage last night. No go today :(.

Any suggestions a limited mechanic could try?

Thanks!

AJ
2013 Giulietta Distinctive Sportiva, 2004 147 Twin Spark 3dr

colcol

Try kicking it over again, then if it doesn't start, remove the spark plugs, if they are wet with petrol, you have no spark, if they are dry, then you have no petrol.
Remove one of the spark plugs and with an assistant lick the engine over and short out the removed spark plug, with the spark plug lead attached, if you get spark, the problems with the fuel system, if you don't get spark then you have an ignition problem, se how you go, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

No i have just owned a 33 for 27 years and i know every little thing that they do and how to fix them, still my daily driver, hardly ever see 33's on the road anymore, which makes them a very exclusive rare car now!, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

I clean my spark plugs every year or so, have gone to a hotter plug to burn of all the deposits as they don't run very well with dirty plugs, takes me about 15 minutes to change my plugs as i have been doing it fo 27 years......yours is a 16 valver much more difficult to change the plugs than an 8 valver, next time your plugs are dirty you may consider going to a hotter plug anything to avoid having to remove them and put them back, Colin.

Thevak

Hi
First time enquiry on a 33. So can you gives us a specific spark plug? I am hoping to get a 33 on the road to populate the roads!
1970 GT Junior 1300
2002 147
1988 33 1.7EI

colcol

Thevak, i notice you have a 1.7 injected 33, these are different to the 1.5 carby versions, the injected versions run a lot better and leaner due to the accurate injection system.
The spark plugs used in my 33 would be different to yours, so my advice would be useless, just run yours and see how it goes and if its not fouling the plugs, use the recomended ones.
The injected motors also last longer than the carby versions as the carby runs a bit rich with petrol and washes the lubricating oil off the cylinder walls leading to wear, the injected versions run leaner and the oil stays on the cylinder bore and minimises wear and there is less crankcase oil dilution too, so the oil lasts longer on the injection version, Colin.