Glow plugs

Started by oz3litre, June 26, 2013, 02:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oz3litre

Has anyone had experience with NGK glow plugs in the 2.4 JTdm? Our car has started to display the "glow plug pre heating unavailable" message off and on lately, so I might need to replace the glow plugs. The car has done around 73,00 km and I assume the plugs are the originals. How long do they normally last? NGKs are a fair bit cheaper than Bosch. I was quoted $52 each for Bosch at Repco, (ouch!), and $20 each for NGK at Autobarn. I can get the Bosch ones from the UK for $100 less than Repco's price, but if the NGKs are just as good I will do business with Autobarn.

The part numbers are:

Bosch 0 250 203 001
NGK YE07
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

frankfassi

I think Alfa recommends the NGK's as per service manual. Just download a manual if you dont have one and check which spark plugs you have to use. My Mito is using NGK's platinum. Not cheap either...

Evan Bottcher

You may not need to replace all the plugs.  I bought a full set, but so far only replaced a single faulty one (high resistance from the electrode to earth).  Haven't had to replace another - that's at 120,00km+.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

oz3litre

Does the warning tend to come and go a bit to begin with? It didn't come up tonight when I went to the club meeting for example, but does first thing in the morning I think. The other thing I am wondering is, if the battery is a bit suspect can that cause it? What brand did you buy Evan?
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

Evan Bottcher

Yep, it came and went I guess the glow cycle doesn't happen when it's warmer? I bought a set of Bosch from alfaworkshop.co.uk.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal