Alfa 33 16v wont start

Started by 33racer, July 06, 2013, 12:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

33racer

Just installed a 16v motor in a series one 33 it was running perfectly in the 91 33 before it was rear ended. I do have spark compression and fuel. but it seems like it is getting too much fuel though and flooding the cylinders before the car can start. Has anyone had this problem before or know how to fix it. All help will be much appreciated

colcol

Where do you start?, You have the electric fuel pump obviously, the engine computer is installed ok, you have a good starter motor that turns over quick?, if it turns over too slow it won't be able to build up enough compression, the crank sensor is working good?, is it kicking over and almost firing or nothing?, if its almost firing, but not starting it could be the timing, the spark plugs are firing?, remove each one and short them to earth to see that they have a good spark, you say it could be flooding?,  could be anything in the computer or the Mass Air Flow Meter, just work thru each thing, best of luck, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

33racer

We have sorted it out installed the spare ecu and it fired first time. It was just the old ecu telling the injectors to inject to much fuel and flood the engine.

colcol

Great news, how about some pics of the installation of the 16valve in the series 1 - 33, tell us how you went about it, something i was going to do a few [pre internet]  years back, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

33racer

the conversion was pretty easy since i had the series 3 already too. although we changed more that what was necessary its pretty much now a series 3 car with series 1 body but for the main conversion you need the fuel lines and pump, ecu and harness, complete engine, front cross member and bolts, and radiator. fitting the large 16v radiator requires cutting alittle out of the front radiator support and making mounting brackets but the rest was pretty straight forward. the conversion only took a few days as well. this is also the second swap of these i did. I previously swapped a de-stroked 16v in my series 2 race car as well. ill add some pictures later.  If you ever do decide to do the conversion I can help supply more info on how to do so