Alfa Spider V6 flywheel

Started by iaing, July 01, 2013, 06:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iaing

Hi all,

Am I able to establish whether my 2002 3L V6 24V has a dual mass flywheel before I send it for clutch replacement.
Some say it definitely has one and other say defiantly not. Agents tell me that only diesel Alfa's have DMFW but cant tell me what type the replacement part is.
I'm looking for some forum/source that can identify the FW from the VIN and/or engine type (AR16105) or other details from the makers plate.

A secondary question is - what are the technical reasons a DMFW can't be resurfaced?

Thanks

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: iaing on July 01, 2013, 06:22:15 PM
Am I able to establish whether my 2002 3L V6 24V has a dual mass flywheel before I send it for clutch replacement.

A secondary question is - what are the technical reasons a DMFW can't be resurfaced?

Don't have a definitive answer for you on whether yours will be dual mass or not, but it's pretty likely on that car in that year.  V6 spiders certainly had them around that time.  Alfa being Alfa though, anything is possible, and if it's had a clutch in the past, all bets are off.

As for your second question, a better question might be why WOULD you resurface it.  It's certainly possible, although your run of the mill clutch place probably won't be able to do it.  Since the centre portion you need to machine is not solidly attached to the rest of the flywheel, the standard method of clamping them down won't work.  As the cutter or grinding wheel is attempting to remove metal, the centre will kick back and forwards under the cutting load, and on a secondhand flywheel probably up and down as well.  Best case scenario, you just end up with a terrible surface finish, worst case would be a lot of shrapnel flying from a broken milling cutter or grinding wheel, plus a big gouge in the surface.  As a collection of broken cutters in my garage will attest, ANY movement in the thing you're trying to machine is bad...   

There ARE ways to lock the centre in place for machining, but your average clutch reconditioner probably won't have what they need to do the job.  Not to mention most commonly flywheels are ground, with plenty of coolant flowing over the job.  Not a good idea with a dual mass, as all you will do is fill up all the void and moving parts with a highly abrasive paste, guaranteed to destroy the dual mass in very short order when refitted to the car.

But back to the WHY for a moment - chances are pretty good that if your clutch needs replacing, then the dual mass flywheel is probably close to being worn out anyway.  For more on that topic, have a bit of a look at the link below.  Between the cut-away diagram at the top, and the video showing a comparision between a worn dual mass and a new one, you should be able to see what I mean, both in terms of wear, and the issue of machining them.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/dual-mass-flywheels/

Craig_m67

Interesting thread here >> http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-and-upgrades/109243-v6-lightened-flywheel.html

GTA flywheel and clutch kit seems simplest likely solution :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

iaing

Thanks to all for very helpful and interesting replies.

Domenic

As others have mentioned, you can use your VIN# in the ePer program, but the problem is, if you're not the original owner, there is no way of knowing what flywheel it has on the car until you pull the gearbox off, that is the most guaranteed way of knowing, when you can actually see it with your (or mechanics) eyes.

Also, be careful with changing it with a solid flywheel as others have done. Alfa put the Dual Mass Flywheel on the car for a reason. As everyone knows on the Alfa V6 engine, the flywheel, crank and front pulley are balanced as a complete unit. So if the car is meant to have a Dual Mass Flywheel, that is what you are supposed to replace it with. If not the engine won't be balanced.

There have been articles/stories about people fitting solid flywheels to their car to save $$$ but after a short period of time they have gearbox problems as the balancing of the engine isn't correct and the vibrations transfer through to the gearbox. I'd assume it'd be cheaper replacing the Dual Mass Flywheel, then having a V6 gearbox re-built. Also the car wouldn't be off the road as long either. I don't thing the dealers would have Alfa V6 gearbox parts (gears/synchros/hubs) sitting on the shelf so the car isn't off the road.

Sorry to add more doubt into your decision making, but i guess you'd want to know as much information as possible.