Difference between Alfaholics and Classic Alfa parts that look the same?

Started by andrewi, May 13, 2013, 01:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancho

I like my car to have pretty eyes - just like my girl. And there is nothing prettier than a set of exquisite clean new cursive script Carello's.

Like with anything of this nature, it's the little details that matter. Similarly with tyres - why does Pirelli paint the 'Rosso' in red on a black tyre - or why is Hellebore engraved onto the steering wheels when it could easily be stamped.

I'll post a picture of a NOS cursive script Carello against a Hella H4 for you. From the dainty yet artistic cursive script to the small anchor logo, to the rounded shape and the different angled diffusers all on the glass.

The light it gives out moght be average by todays standards but theres beauty in the details.  :D

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Davidm1750 on May 15, 2013, 10:37:46 PM
So I guess is it purely about a concern re originality or am I missing something ?

It's purely for originality.  Some people find joy in the little visible details of originality, even if they aren't superior in function.  Each to their own.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

branko.gt

Davidm1600

Well then that is what I thought.  I guess and given I am not all that fussed by originality to that extent, that I prefer to actually be able to see where I am going at night.  Paying for high priced curvey glass script is not what floats my boat, if they are inferior to what else is available.  The eyes in my cars look pretty to me, especially with their whiter light.   

Just so it is not miscontrued, I don't have an issue with originality, and people who chase this.  I too have at times gone for this and I am a stickler for detail, but for me it is where such efforts are made that counts.  Changing engines is not a problem, having nice wheels or a decent steering wheel etc if the original is inferior or just plain dull is a part of the process for me.  I definitely belong in the Scuderia non Originale camp therefore.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

jg1053

Hi all,
Just to chime in, don't forget to add in the new import duties applicable on all parts over $1000.00. We have just been bitten on the bum:(
Jim

Craig_m67

In my case it was purely out about originality.
I'm sure there are better lighting solutions available these days that would look stock.

(I also have some Hellas from AH)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

LaStregaNera

Quote from: jg1053 on February 25, 2017, 09:36:26 AM
Hi all,
Just to chime in, don't forget to add in the new import duties applicable on all parts over $1000.00. We have just been bitten on the bum:(
Jim
Erm - they've been applicable for years.
The new ones will be anything over $400.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

LaStregaNera

Actually - I'm wrong. $400 was the limit back in about 2000, it bumped to $1000 in the early 2000s because it was costing more to collect the import duty than it was worth.
As of 1 July 2017, thanks to Gerry effing Harvey, there's going to be GST collected on *everything* that's imported. no lower limit.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6