750 Series Giulietta Spider

Started by 1750GTV, May 02, 2013, 07:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

Awesome project.  I've always wanted one of these.  What a great challenge as well - good luck and please keep posting detailed progress!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

massiveluvbuddy67

CTS sold the 101 original RHD Giulia Spider with an asking price of $110k in 2 days.

1750GTV

Quick sale for top dollar - but then it looked near perfect in the photos.

Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

1750GTV

The car came with two Weber carburettors - a 28/36DCD and a 32/36DGV. The original Solex C35 is long gone so I'm faced with a choice between the Webers. I may yet try to source an original Solex, though I'm not a great Solex fan.

The Solex vs Weber topic has been discussed on the alfabb and on the Giulietta website but I keen to hear opinion weighing the two Weber options. I'm partial to Weber carburettors because of their legendary build quality and tuning flexibility but having said that though, I did ditch the little IMB on my Fiat 500 for a Dell'Orto FZD.

The DGV is complete but will not take the standard air filter.

The DCD requires parts, which are available, and with an adapter will accept the original air filter.

The DCD is the more period of the two.

Eventually, the car will only be used on the road and not rallied or raced.

Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

massiveluvbuddy67

Weber. Go the won that will match the air filter. IMHO.

1750GTV

Been away from the list while I finished preparing the car for restoration. I agree - the DCD is the more period carburettor, the air cleaner fits and the one I have has cleaned up nicely. I'm reliably informed by a local Weber expert (www.recarb.com.au) that the DCD is a better all round carburettor. It seems to be the pick for the Fiat/Morris Mini/Corolla guys.

The car has now been completely stripped to a shell without many dramas at all. It's amazing what you can achieve with a small gas torch, copious WD40 and a lot of patience - even with a rusty 56 year old hulk. It's been delivered to the restorers awaiting the application of new steel, time, effort and money. The car has had a minor front shunt in the past but is otherwise very straight with nice even shut lines. It'll come up beautifully.

I'm still hunting around replacement parts for those that are missing or unserviceable. Some of the bits are hard to find as this car is a very early model - a Series 1a I guess - and some changes were made around 1958 prior to the long wheel base early 101 series in ~1960 which then morphed into the true 101 series Guilias with the 1600 engine option. These then ran until the Duetto replacement in ~1966.

The hardest bit will be trying to hide the invoices from the long suffering wife :)

Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Craig_m67

Who's restoring her, PM if you like. I need to find somebody trusted around Brisbane to take over my Duetto,

Craig
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

1750GTV

Craig,

I'm on the Sunshine Coast, so possibly a little far away for you.

Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

massiveluvbuddy67

Duttons has done a deal on the CTS RHD spider and offering it for $125k now!

massiveluvbuddy67

Quote from: 1750GTV on June 06, 2013, 10:25:55 AM
Been away from the list while I finished preparing the car for restoration. I agree - the DCD is the more period carburettor, the air cleaner fits and the one I have has cleaned up nicely. I'm reliably informed by a local Weber expert (www.recarb.com.au) that the DCD is a better all round carburettor. It seems to be the pick for the Fiat/Morris Mini/Corolla guys.

The car has now been completely stripped to a shell without many dramas at all. It's amazing what you can achieve with a small gas torch, copious WD40 and a lot of patience - even with a rusty 56 year old hulk. It's been delivered to the restorers awaiting the application of new steel, time, effort and money. The car has had a minor front shunt in the past but is otherwise very straight with nice even shut lines. It'll come up beautifully.

I'm still hunting around replacement parts for those that are missing or unserviceable. Some of the bits are hard to find as this car is a very early model - a Series 1a I guess - and some changes were made around 1958 prior to the long wheel base early 101 series in ~1960 which then morphed into the true 101 series Guilias with the 1600 engine option. These then ran until the Duetto replacement in ~1966.

The hardest bit will be trying to hide the invoices from the long suffering wife :)

Chris

Chris,
Do you have a copy of Evan Green's book? Although you sound fully knowledgeable, this will help.
Best Regards
Phil

1750GTV

Phil,

I went a bit silly over the last 2 years or so researching these cars and bought a core of books on the model.

I've got copies of the following -

Giulietta Cars Shop Manual (an Alfa factory production)
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1954-2004 (Giorgio NADA Editore)
Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider (Giorgio NADA Editore) - in Italian
Alfa Romeo Veloce - The Racing Giuliettas (Hughes & Da Prato)
Alfa Romeo Giulietta Gold Portfolio 1954 - 1965 (Brooklands Books)
Alfa Romeo Giulietta (Evan Wilson) (1982)
Evan Wilson's Giulietta Book (2010) Updated version of above.

All of these books are great resources.

I've also got a general Alfa library as well as a couple of shelves on other Italian makes (Lancia, Fiat, Abarth, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Cisitalia, OSCI etc.) plus a German section as well.

I'm not trying to show off - I enjoy reading and I like to be informed.

I also joined the Giulietta Register a while ago and get regular quarterly copies of Giuliettaletta which have a space in the large bookshelves that also contain about 20 years of Thoroughbred and Classic Cars and Classic and Sports Car.

My wife doesn't complain as she collects ladybeetle memorabilia with which she decorates parts of the house in plague proportions :)

Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

pep105

Quote from: Phil Nash on June 07, 2013, 06:22:35 PM
Duttons has done a deal on the CTS RHD spider and offering it for $125k now!

Phil here it is

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-1964/AGC-AD-13919992/?Cr=2

Great project Chris, such a great model to restore. Looking forward to updates.
Remembered your 1750 restoration a few years ago.
Do you have any photos of the 500 ? No pressure, and sorry for off topic but have 2 mates with restored 500's
one with a 69 F and the other with a 60 Nouva and have a bit of a soft spot for them.
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

1750GTV

Pep,

The 500 was a 1967 500F that I rebuilt as a 695 using a bored out 650 block (Fiat 126), a big valve head, 'sports' camshaft and a copper gasket. I also used the 126 synchro gearbox, fitted front disc brakes and a decent carburettor. It now goes up and down hills easily and is a huge hoot to drive.

The conversion was in the spirit of the Abarth kit parts available as an aftermarket option in the mid-60s, so it rather cheekily wears an Abarth badge.

Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

massiveluvbuddy67

Quote from: 1750GTV on June 07, 2013, 07:58:34 PM
Phil,

I went a bit silly over the last 2 years or so researching these cars and bought a core of books on the model.

I've got copies of the following -

Giulietta Cars Shop Manual (an Alfa factory production)
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1954-2004 (Giorgio NADA Editore)
Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider (Giorgio NADA Editore) - in Italian
Alfa Romeo Veloce - The Racing Giuliettas (Hughes & Da Prato)

Sorry Chris, I meant Evan Wilson not Evan Green. Yes, you are well endowed with the good stuff for your project.
Onwards and upwards!
Best Regards
Phil
Alfa Romeo Giulietta Gold Portfolio 1954 - 1965 (Brooklands Books)
Alfa Romeo Giulietta (Evan Wilson) (1982)
Evan Wilson's Giulietta Book (2010) Updated version of above.

All of these books are great resources.

I've also got a general Alfa library as well as a couple of shelves on other Italian makes (Lancia, Fiat, Abarth, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Cisitalia, OSCI etc.) plus a German section as well.

I'm not trying to show off - I enjoy reading and I like to be informed.

I also joined the Giulietta Register a while ago and get regular quarterly copies of Giuliettaletta which have a space in the large bookshelves that also contain about 20 years of Thoroughbred and Classic Cars and Classic and Sports Car.

My wife doesn't complain as she collects ladybeetle memorabilia with which she decorates parts of the house in plague proportions :)

Chris

Davidm1600

Good grief that is an absurd price for the '64 spider.  Good luck to them if they can get it but considering the number of superb spiders that seem to come up for sale in the US, for considerably less, if I had the money and/or wasn't interested in going down the restoration road, I know where I would be looking for one. 

My library is considerably more modest than yours Chris, but I too have a similar eclectic Italian section, as well as German and British sections.  Thankfully while I made the compromise in getting rid of my Classic & Thoroughbred and Car magazine collection at least I still have my Classic and Sportscar/Supercar Classics magazine collection.  Mind you the grumblings re even this lot have been heard but so far resisted. 

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina