750 Series Giulietta Spider

Started by 1750GTV, May 02, 2013, 07:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1750GTV

I've taken the plunge and bought a 'restoration special' - a 1957 Giulietta Spider Normale (750D). It was an Oregon car until imported about 3 years ago and I bought it from the importer a couple of months ago. It seems to have been last registered in 1973 and has been in a shed ever since. The original US owner had intended to restore/repair it but never got around to it.

The car arrived partly disassembled with the parts packed in the cabin, Steggles style. It is mostly complete and I'm currently chasing up the missing parts.

All I've done so far is strip it nearly to a shell. When it's completely stripped, I'll mount it on a trolley/rotisserie and deliver it to one of the local restorers. It is fairly rusty but all of the repair panels are available from overseas.

At one stage I was tempted to rebuild it as a Veloce (750F) but changed my mind as it will be just as much fun in standard trim.

I've attached a recent photo taken in my garage. It shares space with my 1970 1750GTV and a 1968 Fiat 500F.

Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

aggie57

Congratulations Chris - looks like quite the project!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

massiveluvbuddy67

I wish I had your skills. These cars are increasing value. Classic Throttle Shop has just listed a RHD 101 Spider for $110k. It is immaculate.

Davidm1600

I guess it all depends though Phil. a guy down here in Hobart just recently acquired a really lovely condition 101 spider giulia spider, listed for $75K and managed to acquire it for a mere $25K. And it is in immaculate condition.  So $$$ can be relative.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

massiveluvbuddy67

OMG!  ::)
That was the car at Rainsfords? It was a 750 Veloce. Awesome pick-up. How the hell did he get it for $25k! That is awesome. I am bowing in his general direction.

Davidm1600

ahh was it a 750, then even better still !!!  I havn't seen it personally yet, only photos. But from those who have seen it, they have commented on just how superb it is.

How did the new owner get it for the money, I really don't know, but I imagine he waved a cheque in front of their face and simply persisted.  I may be wrong but I believe it is not a matching engine numbers car, and so perhaps that helped.

Either way though and for the $$ I would think the new owner is pretty pleased with his purchase.  Look forward to seeing it up and close soon.  If I can I will get some pics of it.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

massiveluvbuddy67

Excellent...yes please. That is the bargain of the century in my opinion. A restored (according to Rainsfords) 750 Veloce for $25k...
Ask, if you can, how he negotiated. I need his tips!  ;D

1750GTV

I'm not sure how skilled I am - I'm going to make sure that I have plenty of advice and help :)

I looked at the Rainsfords car when I was in Adelaide in mid last year but didn't have $75K burning a hole in my pocket at the time. It was a genuine matching numbers 1958 750F (Veloce) owned by Garry Rainsfords brother Dean and it was equipped with a 105 series 5 speed gearbox rather than the standard 750/101 series 4 speed 'tunnel' box. Apart from a few other minor issues it was a lovely car and it drove beautifully. I'd be very surprised if it went for much less than the asking price as they were in no hurry to sell.

I'll post photos as I go, but be warned, it'll be a long process - at least, 18 months to 2 years ...

Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Davidm1600

All I can say Chris is yes the price I mentioned, is what I have been told he got it for.  I will follow up in due course when I can and let people know thereafter.  It certainly does sound like a bargain, that is for sure. I reckon if I were in the market for one I would be looking towards the US, as some reasonable finds still seem to come out of the woodwork over there.  Having said that though, values are definitely rising, unlike for later model spiders, even boat tail duettos appear to be falling in price over the last year or so.

I do know a couple of his mates and between the two of them they were certainly instrumental/influential in him chasing the spider. 

The cars these guys own are pretty impressive: Ferrari Dino 246GT, 365 GT, Maserati Ghibli, Lancia Fulvia Zagato, Lamborghini Urruco, Riley Special, E-Type and XK 120.  So they know their cars and would have made certain that he bought well.

Anyway, like Phil and others have said well done on getting a 750 spider and good luck with the restoration project.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

1750GTV

I had a look at the literature supplied by Rainsfords when the car was for sale and a potential bargaining point was the engine number. I was wrong in my last post - it's not a matching numbers car. The block is from a 750D (Normale) but rebuilt using Veloce components. Still at $25K it was a steal.

I've attached a few more photos of my project.

Bit rusty ...

and lots of fiddly little stuff to do as well like rebuilding gauges ...

It'll keep me out of trouble for some time I think :)

Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

1750GTV

and tinworm here as well ...

plus a fair bit in the other sill and boot.
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

massiveluvbuddy67

Looks like CTS have sold their $110k RHD Giulia Spider in 2 days!

Davidm1600

Hi Phil, wow that is an impressive price, and definitely should make Chris feel pretty comfortable about what ever level of investment he needs to make into restoring his car.

I will say this much CTS sure do have a reputation for having lovely stock but with equally lovely (very elevated) prices.   My brother in law purchased a classic ('72) Ducati 750SS from them a few years back.  The price was high, but thankfully for him the value has since increased given its rarity/desirability.

I think what we are seeing here with 750/101 spiders and sprints is a similar situation.  Fortunate for those who have one, but less so for those of us who don't but would love one !! 

In the US, while they too seem to be on the increase in value, for a car to reach that stratospheric price level, would mean the car would have to be flawless.  I am not sure I would want such a vehicle.

On ebay in the US there are currently 3 cars with probably more realistic/achievable prices.  Two are full restoration specials, the other a nice tidy driver, which could do with a little fettling. 

The '58 a 750D Abnormale ?? (thought they only came in normale and veloce) is listed at $11,100 with 10 bids and 5 days to go. It has a 101 motor, but is the nicest of all 3 cars.

The '60 giulietta normale is a full resto project but achieavable.  It is listed currently at $7800, with 6 bids and 6 days to go.

The 65 Giulia Veloce has a non original (Duetto nord) engine, is basically ok, but requires plenty of work.  It is listed at $11,100 (not met reserve), with 8 bids and 5 days to go.

Will be curious to see what prices they all achieve.

That is a bit of rust you have in your car there Chris, but I have seen far worse brought back from the brink and at least much of the metal work you need I believe is available as replacement section panels.  I am sure you are probabaly aware of the typical range of suppliers.  Certainly on the BB 750/101 section there is much discussion re this.  Mind you I just did a quick Google search and came up with two new suppliers (looks like second hand parts mostly) but still possibly useful: www.alfaretro and www.vanlingen   Classic Alfa in the UK appears also to have some stock.

Look forward to seeing progress on this project. 

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

1750GTV

Thanks all so far.

I've wanted one of these cars for many years and took the opportunity when it came up recently. The resale value doesn't concern me much as this will be a keeper and whilst it may not end up a 100% concourse car, it will be restored faithfully to a very high standard.

Prior to purchase I did a lot of research - lurking on various BBs, buying and reading books and articles, searching out parts suppliers and joining clubs. It will all help eventually. I've already been haunting Classic Alfa, Alfa Stop and Centerline all of whom stock Giulietta 750 parts.

Marco Fazio from the Alfa archive tells me that the car was manufactured on 28.3.57 and exported to the US on 6.4.57. It was red with a black interior and will be restored in those colours.

Yes the rust is there but the car is straight and as you say, the repair panels are all available. The guys who will do the panel work are a local firm with an excellent reputation for this type of restoration. They did my Bambino about 4 years ago and it is faultless.

The reference to Abnormale arises because many owners replace either the engine or gearbox or both with ones from later models, usually from either 101 series Giuliettas or even 105s. Hence the range expands from the standard Normale and the twin carb Veloce to include the Frankenalfa Abnormale. The main reason this is done is parts availability - 750 series parts are getting difficult to find. My car came with a lot of spares - probably to make up for the missing bits :) I have nearly a spare engine, a complete spare gearbox and two complete hood frames.

As I go I'll post lots of photos.

Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

massiveluvbuddy67

Yes please Chris. Godspeed. Let me know if you need any help, but David has given you the good oil already. AFRA are great for parts and process.