Carbon Fibre GTV6 bonnets

Started by Jekyll and Hyde, February 07, 2008, 07:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jekyll and Hyde

Contemplating making one of these up for myself, and was just wondering if anyone else would be interested in buying one, since I'd have the mold anyway.  At this stage, a rough estimate on price would be about $300 depending on what the materials cost finally works out to be, and how much hassle they are to lay up neatly.

So, if you think you'd like one, and its legal in your chosen race class (I imagine a CF bonnet would classify as removal of metal), stick your name down below.  Doesn't commit you to buy, doesn't mean I will or won't make more than just my one, just tells me what the interest level is like.  I'm thinking about making slight changes to the scoop to make it functional also, if that interests anyone.  Could also probably do 2 litre bonnets, but that would be later and due to demand only.

Jeff

I could be interested in one for my two litre.

Regards,

Jeff

Brett

Yes, would be interested in one for gtv6 with a scoop,
Thanks Kev. :)

gtv600

Put me down for one, any chance you can post a photo of the first one.

Jekyll and Hyde

QuotePut me down for one, any chance you can post a photo of the first one.

As I said in the original post, I'm just contemplating it at this stage.  So none yet exist, but it will probably look almost exactly like a carbon fibre copy of the V6 bonnet, except that the tea tray may become a vent or scoop integrated into bonnet rather than bolting into it.  That bridge will be crossed when I get to it.

marinoci

Did this ever happen?
Any chance we can still get these made up again?
1985 GTV6; 1974 Spider

julianB

I'm considering having some made, but I also want to do a South African bonnet with a NACA scoop for myself.
They would come to around $1800- $2000 a piece and I would only do a limited run.

85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
AHM ITB setup, Jim K manifolds & 10.3 cams, M84
17" Work Meister S1R
330mm Brembo front, vented rears
RS coilovers and bits
Recaro LX mesh headrest buckets

'68 step nose Junior "Romeo"
bare metal project

Duk

If you are feeling adventerous and like to do your own stuff, then check out these videos for some practical 'how to' information.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-DQ6gqgQvCm_Al2OH9_JRWyOMG5KsjMT

Another video to better help understand strength, stiffness, pros and cons of various composites.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHXVf0SaJpA
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

Paul Gulliver

Great videos Duk. That presenter was incredibly neat, looks like he didn't get a drop of product on him at any stage. I do wonder though  how many wardrobe changes and how many white tee shirt were ruined in the making of those clips. $2000 for a bonnet looks pretty good value.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Duk

Yeah, people who are genuinely good at doing something always make it look easy.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

bonno

If not fussed whether it’s carbon fibre or fibreglass, then a google search has revealed a company in the UK produces fibreglass panels for the 116 and 105 series Alfas. Have no experience with the product or supplier and as such reluctant in supplying link here. However, find attached link to a thread on ABB on such information.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/32469-alfapanels.html

Duk

Quote from: bonno on May 09, 2018, 05:41:36 PM
If not fussed whether it's carbon fibre or fibreglass, then a google search has revealed a company in the UK produces fibreglass panels for the 116 and 105 series Alfas. Have no experience with the product or supplier and as such reluctant in supplying link here. However, find attached link to a thread on ABB on such information.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/32469-alfapanels.html

Freight quotes could be interesting.............

julianB

High wood make fibreglass ones and they look pretty good.
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
AHM ITB setup, Jim K manifolds & 10.3 cams, M84
17" Work Meister S1R
330mm Brembo front, vented rears
RS coilovers and bits
Recaro LX mesh headrest buckets

'68 step nose Junior "Romeo"
bare metal project