De Dion bush tool

Started by TimD, April 14, 2013, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimD

Does anyone have a De Dion bush removal tool an Adelaide I could borrow for a weekend?

Storm_X

I'm interested to see what this tool looks like, in just about to do my own and I was just going to hit it out.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

colcol

Use an appropriate sizes socket or get one of those cheap chinese on ebay bush removal tool sets, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

TimD

So, for anyone interested in trying this, here is how I did it:

Firstly, I needed something to receive the old bush. I saw over on alfa bb someone using a hole saw. So $40 later I had a 60mm hole saw, some M8 high tesile threaded rod and some high tesile M8 nuts.

Because I was doing this with the triangle in the car (and because I did not read the manual on this procedure), I did not remove the wire clip thing on the top of the old bush. This causes a few stripped and or rounded nuts and some stretched, warped rods before the bush finally popped out. Once this happened, the rest of the removal was easy.

After I had got the old bush free, I looked at the workshop manual, which says to bend the "Stakes" and remove the metal clip. Before I put the poly bush in, I checked for said stakes, but could not find any. I guess a previous owner removed them to put a bush in.

Putting the new poly bush in was easy in comparison and took only a few minutes.

If anyone needs a big hole saw for this job, feel free to borrow mine and save yourself $30. Just dont try to make any holes with it as it is somewhat deformed.

TimD

Hmm images are crappy, and upside down, but you get the idea.

giulia_veloce

I have never used a poly bush in the de-dion and have changed heaps of them over the years on customer cars
Would like to hear some positives or negatives about them= Poly

Also wondering about the metal ring and the stakes.
How was the old metal ring secured previously.?

And yes,I have the Alfa removal + refitting tool

TimD

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the definition of "Stake".

Once the old bush was out I felt around the top rim and inside and I could not feel any lips, edges or anything that I would describe as a stake.

There was however and sharp edge on the top, front of the bush surround. Another thing to mention, is when the old bush did let go, it was with a loud bang, so perhaps I broke the stakes off?

In any case, they needed to be removed to use the poly bush as I understand it.

martym00se72

Putting poly on the Watts link was one of the first things I did after the shocks. Firms up the feel of the back no end - definitely worth it I think.
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?