Where to get a towbar fitted 159 JTD

Started by alfagirl, March 18, 2013, 11:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagirl

Hi there,  AM new to the forum.  Does anybody know who would happily fit my 159 with a towbar?  I live in Camden NSW (about an hour south of Sydney) and after ringing numerous businesses can't find anyone  to fit a towbar.  I know that I can purchase the towbar.  I think they are around the $4-500 mark new.  Need one of those too if anyone has one to sell!

Evan Bottcher

Welcome to the forum.  Our regular independent workshop (who does services etc.) fitted the towbar on our 159 JTDm.  The towbar kit itself was sourced from the official dealers - about $500 like you say, including the wiring loom.

Here's the list of club supporting businesses for the NSW chapter - perhaps one of the workshops are near you and might help?

http://alfaclubnsw.org.au/businesses/index.html
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Paul Gulliver

Evan,

Seeing you have had it done already ( by Bruno I assume) was it the Euro type ( fixed ball) or Aussie ( ball on plate /tongue)  tyre that can be removed . Also did they have to cut into the rear bumper at all??. 
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Neil Choi

You can give Rob Panetta at Manning Motors a call.  He will be able to help, great guy he is.

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on March 18, 2013, 01:47:57 PM
Evan,

Seeing you have had it done already ( by Bruno I assume) was it the Euro type ( fixed ball) or Aussie ( ball on plate /tongue)  tyre that can be removed . Also did they have to cut into the rear bumper at all??.

Hey Gully,

Yeah it was Bruno and Giancarlo (Maranello Pur Sang).  It has a heavy plate that can be removed (two big bolts), and a removable ball.  I didn't realise that's an Aussie thing.  Yep you have to cut a square out of the bumper.  Doesn't look too bad with the plate removed.  The loom comes with a flat connector, which I keep in the spare wheel well until I need it.  Don't tow very often, so it's no problem to have it hanging out of the boot.

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfagirl

Thanks Evan, will look into the list you provided!

alfagirl

And thank you Neil - I'll give Rob a call.