2ltr 116 plugs

Started by B_Conolly, March 17, 2013, 06:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_Conolly

Hi all,

Quick one. What plugs are recommended for a 116 2ltr with the larger PACE valves installed ?

Many thanks,
Bret

John A Pucak

B_Conolly

Hmm... thanks John.

I had those installed and one of the valves was rubbing against a plug. Possibly a dodgy bend on the elbow of the ground electrode ?.

Could this have damaged the valve or guide enough to warrant taking the head off ?. Not a huge amount of ware on the plug but still...

The engine has done roughly 1,500k since the rebuild (with go fast bits from Vin) so you can image how worrying this is. Pretty sure I queried it and Vin didnt mention using a specific plug.

I guess a quick call is on order.

Cheers.

Neil Choi

I believe you need to index the plugs so the "elbow bit" is pointing north/south.

Hopefully that "tiny" amount of wear has not damaged the valve.  You need to consult with Dr Sharp I think.

As an optimist, you might be ok.  Run a compression test, maybe.

Good luck.

B_Conolly

Thanks Neil you are spot on. Vin confirmed the north/south technique.

For anyone experiencing/searching the same issue (which sounds pretty common after talking to Vin) there is only a slight rubbing on the outer edge of the valve that doesnt come in contact with the seat. The valve pushes the ground, closes the gap and drops the cylinder (which it didnt in my case) before any real damage is done. Looking at an old valve now and I struggle to see how the ground could do any significant damage given how soft it is compared to the valve.

He also mentioned that the standard tapered x4 ground plugs are very difficult to find and are quite expensive. Its personal preference I guess but constantly feeding the engine +-$15 x4 plugs looks like a really good option after this experience  ;).

Thanks gents.