Usecd 156

Started by Es man, February 01, 2008, 11:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Es man

I am thinking pf buying a 2000 model Alfa 156 5 spd manual monza twin spark in very good condition, My mechanic who services my current cars said dont buy it as it is a load of trouble and very expensive to maintain he said $4000 per year and a big problem is the timing belt, the car has done 70k in 7 years. Should I take notice of him ????

Peter

John Hanslow

I was thinking of updating my car in the future and looking at a 156. Could not make up my mind between a Manual 4 or a Q-System fully automatic 6. A Monza would be just great.

General comments:
- All cars have to be maintained & cost money.
- Do your research, get the best kept car for your price that suits you.
- The 2 lt JTS is more powerful so if you can extend your budget that's good.
- Essential to get one that has been properly serviced by someone who understands the car.
- Has the belt been changed?
- Find your nearest Alfa workshop (maybe on the NSW car club site) and they   will tell you the facts about any problems and real cost.
- Get a pre purchase inspection on the car you want.

I recon they are great value for money as long as you do not over pay for a car needing (say) a new clutch, or tyres etc or other NSW rego matters.

Best of luck.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Scott Farquharson

What is he suggesting you will spend the $4k on?  Being a manual (not a selespeed) it is hard to know what you would spend money on!

The timing belts must be changed every 60k but this is not a "problem" and hardly constitutes $4k PA.  If he has done 70k the car should have had a belt change - if it hasn't then I would question the maintenance record and would probably leave that one alone.

The selespeeds are great but the hydraulic pumps need changing every 50k or so.

The 156 generally are a great value, reliable and a great driving car, but you must maintain as per the schedule by someone who knows them well (maybe why your mechanic is doubtful).

Highly recommended.

Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Anth73

What makes of car does your mechanic typically service? Can you take his word for it? Up to you really.

The timing belt is a rubber belt and as per any other rubber belt it will need to be replaced periodocally, usually somewhere between 3 to 5 years is what most manufacturers recommend. I can't see why it is a "big problem", unless you don't change it and it snaps, sending valves and pistons on a collision course just like most engines I know of if that happens.

As for the comment about $4000 per year to maintain, I spent that much on my 156 this year, comprised of:
- 95,000km service (basically oil and filter change)
- 100,000km service (as above plus new platninum spark plugs that won't need to be changed for another 100,000km)
- new clutch (the original lasted until the 100,000km service)
- new Koni front shockers (the V6 engine in mine is heavy and the standard shockers were not well suited to our roads, but they had not worn out)

You can see that this is not typical and inclued major items not likely to require replacement every year.

My dad's 2002 Astra needed a new ECU at just 60,000km. My wife's previous care needed new cat converters at 90,000km at a cost $5500 plus fitting (no, that's not a typo!).

Get my point....any car will require you to spend money on it as they are consumable items, some just make you feel glad to drive them whilst others are just transport. What do you prefer? 

Now:
2012 Giulietta QV
1982 GTV6 3L fast road build
1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce...the long term project
1970 1750 GTV project car for sale

Then:
2002 156 2.5V6 Manual
2012 159 2.4JTDm Sportwagon
1973 2000 GTV with a 1750 rear half...that was a shame!
Alfa 90 (only for its engine mounts)