Oil

Started by Mr156_2.0, March 13, 2013, 06:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

For twin spark, Fully Synthetic 10-40, twin spark with a drinking problem, 10-60, first JTS 156, [like mine], on the radiator apron has 10-40 oil to use, then after oil consumption concerns started to raise concerns, Alfa Romeo changed the oil viscosity to 10-60.                                                 Alloytec direct injection Commodores, Audi's and Volkswagon's Direct Injection all love a drink of oil, someone i know with a Audi 4WD, used 2 litres per 1,000klms and dealer said that was normal and acceptable, he was glad when the timing chain broke, because he got a new engine under warranty!, but you never hear of these things in the press, because German Engineering is so Reliable, Italian Engineering on the other hand is always causing Alfa Romeo's to break down,  i know cause i read it in the Herald Sun car section, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

fossil

Hi, Selenia oil can be bought at Brian Foley Automotive - www.foleyalfa.com.au  - Selenia Racing $18.50 plus gst per litre :)

Alfamania

Why do people bother with Selenia? There are so many better oils out there  :)
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Mazda Rx7 13B Extend port -Turbo
Ford XE ESP 5.8
Mazda RX-4 Coupe 13B Extend Port

Steve S

That would be 10w60 John. I would use the 5w40 in a twin spark if oil consumption is not too high.

Silver Bodgie

I've just replaced the engine oil in the Giulietta QV with Shell Ultra 5w-40. Fully synthetic and meets current Fiat and Alfa specs. It's easier to get and a lot cheaper than Selenia. The oil filter is a challenge to remove. Why do manufactures not only make it difficult for us to service but I'm sure if I were still working on cars for a living I'd be mighty cranky with this move to the past. Also why have they moved back to cartridge filters? Might have something to do with the price of the parts; $45 for a filter!!
Now
Giulietta QV 1750 Alfa Red
Past
2008 159
1750 GT Veloce 1970

colcol

There was a post a while back about a oil filter for a GM based V-6 out of a 159 costing about $80 from an Australian Alfa Romeo Dealer, he later found out a Ryco filter from Supercheap was $13!, if the local prices are out of this world, try some of the overseas supplies, but get prices first.
Don't know where the cartridge is a a new Guilietta, any pictures?, couldn't be worse than a V-6 147 or 156, i have been told you have to remove the power steering pump to get at it, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Steve S

Quote from: Silver Bodgie on August 14, 2013, 08:05:08 PM
I've just replaced the engine oil in the Giulietta QV with Shell Ultra 5w-40. Fully synthetic and meets current Fiat and Alfa specs. It's easier to get and a lot cheaper than Selenia. The oil filter is a challenge to remove. Why do manufactures not only make it difficult for us to service but I'm sure if I were still working on cars for a living I'd be mighty cranky with this move to the past. Also why have they moved back to cartridge filters? Might have something to do with the price of the parts; $45 for a filter!!

Interesting,

What specs are called for by Alfa Australia exactly?

I know in Europe the Selenia oil recommended changed from Selenia Star PE to Selenia Sport Power. Both of these lubricants are 5w40 ACEA C3 rated. Shell Helix Ultra is actually ACEA A3 rather than C3 rated so it is a different formulation with different sulphate ash limits and ZDDP limits etc. I would wonder why Fiat lists a C3 lube as it is primarily for diesel engines. I do wonder if it is only for catalyst life or maybe inlet deposit reduction. It could be for the long service interval, we can only guess.  Don't worry Helix Ultra will do a fine job lubricating your engine, just make sure it is allowed so to not give Alfa a scapegoat should you need to make a warranty claim.

Silver Bodgie

You are correct Steve about Shell being A3 not C3 but I was drawn to this oil as the spec in the handbook refers to Fiat certification No. 9.55535-S2 as well as stating that it is 5W-40 ACEA C3 grade. The Fiat no. is listed on the Shell container and they also recommend this grade on their website for the Giulietta.
As a matter of fact the Selenia oil listed in the Handbook is StAR P.E.
Another mystery is the 1litre top up provided by Alfa and which is located in the pouch in the boot is 5w-30? What if I used that to top during its first year and something went wrong??
I'm a little confused and concerned!
Now
Past
2008 159
1750 GT Veloce 1970

Silver Bodgie

Quote from: colcol on August 14, 2013, 10:48:36 PM
There was a post a while back about a oil filter for a GM based V-6 out of a 159 costing about $80 from an Australian Alfa Romeo Dealer, he later found out a Ryco filter from Supercheap was $13!, if the local prices are out of this world, try some of the overseas supplies, but get prices first.
Don't know where the cartridge is a a new Guilietta, any pictures?, couldn't be worse than a V-6 147 or 156, i have been told you have to remove the power steering pump to get at it, Colin.
I did get a price from the UK but once you add freight it comes out at the price as the local Dealer.
Now
Past
2008 159
1750 GT Veloce 1970

Steve S

Quote from: Silver Bodgie on August 16, 2013, 06:10:17 PM
You are correct Steve about Shell being A3 not C3 but I was drawn to this oil as the spec in the handbook refers to Fiat certification No. 9.55535-S2 as well as stating that it is 5W-40 ACEA C3 grade. The Fiat no. is listed on the Shell container and they also recommend this grade on their website for the Giulietta.
As a matter of fact the Selenia oil listed in the Handbook is StAR P.E.
Another mystery is the 1litre top up provided by Alfa and which is located in the pouch in the boot is 5w-30? What if I used that to top during its first year and something went wrong??
I'm a little confused and concerned!

So it would appear that ACEA C3 is of no consequence to meeting the Fiat certification. Its interesting that in Europe Fiat 9.55535-GH2 is called for but not here. Maybe it's our fuel.

Here is a copy of the service book in the UK

The 5w30 is most likely ACEA C3 rated also so the difference in a practical sense maybe insignificant.

Silver Bodgie

Steve it's interesting the difference in the UK handbook to the one published in Aus and also what's listed as the appropriate oil to use? As you say it maybe the fuel. Now since our last posts I've done some more digging and it would appear that my eyes aren't what they used to be because on very close inspection the Fiat classification listed on the Shell container is different by one letter to that listed in my book. In fact it's a 'Z' not an 'S' as I previously indicated.

After searching other oils Castrol Magnatec 5W-40 does satisfy the Aus Alfa spec (C3) as well as Penrite Enviro+ 5W-40 fully synthetic. Penrite's the choice. So I guess I'm going to do my 2nd oil change in two days. Thanks for the questions and tech advice throughout the process, it's added to my knowledge base. Regards Peter :D
Now
Past
2008 159
1750 GT Veloce 1970

Steve S

ACEA C3 is becoming the standard in Europe now but it's not all that popular here. Fuchs GT1 5w40 XTL is another good option.

Don't get too hung on 5w30 vs 5w40 as it can be irrelevant. As long as it meets ACEA C3 you can be assured it has sufficient viscosity. Note they say you can use any lubricant meeting the ACEA specification (i.e. C3) without reference to the SAE viscosity grade (5w40) if you cannot attain the appropriate Selenia fluid.

Bellbird

Hello ColCol

Just been reading this thread.  My 2012 Giulietta 1.4 petrol multi air needs a 15K oil change shortly.  I got a quote for $45 for 2L Selina from Alfa dealer.  Interesting your comments re links with oil companies and what the recommend!  So what do you recommend for my Giulie? I'm happy to use another brand which is easier to source! Sarah

Bellbird

Just read Silver Bodgie's reply - there's my answer!  Shell!  I'll double check with Bodgie.

colcol

Just get some 5-40 Fully Synthetic oil from your favourite brand, and have a look at the back of the container and see if it has a Fiat approval, have a look at Repco, Supercheap and Autobahn, don't get too hung up on the brands, just don't run it out of oil and change it on time, Colin.