Oil

Started by Mr156_2.0, March 13, 2013, 06:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

automan234

Hi, just as a side note, Ryco filters are now manufactured in China , we find their quality unnaceptable to sell in store(as an independent we are not bound to purchase certain brands as Repco and Supercheap are) and sell Sakura and Wesfil....usually at around $9.95. I suppose this means we are cheaper than Supercheap........not at all unusual to be honest.
Auto

colcol

Why are Ryco Filters unsuitable for sale?, they are a long trusted brand, and would come with some sort of warranty, have you had some sort of issue with them?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig_m67

Is there an experienced recommendation for the diesel Alfas (1.9JTD)?

I remember reading somewhere about an HPE (Penrite?) which might make her a little less clattery** due to added zinc??

I have no real oil knowledge or experience although I did used to calibrate XRF's for Shell/Mobil/Castrol (amongst other industries) and others for QA when they "mixed" up their (and others) different oil types (specs) from the same bases. Since then I've just bought on vehicle min. spec requirement, price and known brand.

**....not that you can't but love the clatter.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

automan234

I agree with you Colin, they were a long trusted brand but are now manufactured in China to a lower standard but still priced as before , a lot of independent stores no longer stock them, there are better filters out there...out of 10 vehicle owned in my family not one carries a ryco filter.....I tend to use and sell Sakura filters, made to a very high standard and in a lot of  cases 50% cheaper than the ryco equivalent

Steve S

Most aftermarket filters are made in China or Asia somewhere. Why are Ryco so bad now? Ryco and Wesfil are GUD brands.

colcol

I have used Ryco oil filters for 40 years, never had a problem, were originally made in Australia then New Zealand followed by South Africa and now China, where next?, i am guessing Vietnam.
Ryco are a big longtime trusted company who would hopefully stand behind their products, but in all the years i have purchased oil filters from all different brands, never had a bad one, in so far as its not leaking and fits and not rough looking, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]