Phillip Island Classic Festival of Motor Sport Pics

Started by Neil Choi, March 10, 2013, 09:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Choi

alfagtv58

Quote from: hmd on March 14, 2013, 10:01:51 AM
3) How aggressive are some of the drivings?

First up, I haven't yet watched hmd's in-car, this is not commentary on any incident or anyone in that footage, more comment on hmd's point on aggressive driving and my observations over the recent past from a competitors point of view.....

From the GSRA Drivers' Code of Conduct......

QuoteGroup S racing is an amateur sport to be enjoyed by all who participate. Although the competitive aspect of driving historic production sports cars is part and parcel of the sport, over driving or over aggressive driving is not.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of aggressive driving, and there is a place for that, in contemporary motorsport category's.  Some drivers don't quite get that they are in an Historic racing category, if they want to play for sheep stations they should perhaps consider moving across to something where this attitude and/or behavior is 'tolerated'.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Neil Choi

Jumping the gun on hmd, for your entertainment.  Lucky stars.

aggie57

Quote from: hmd on March 14, 2013, 09:58:41 AM
Quote from: Neil Choi on March 14, 2013, 08:35:33 AM
Mustang darted to the right (outside) initially then decided to go left (inside) with little room to undertake.  Mustang could have waited a second out of the corner to go as it knows it has power over the poor little 2L. 

Mustang driver was found at fault and fined.

There was also the white alfetta on the outside turning in, the red/black alfetta had no where to go really.

Far be it for me to second guess the stewards but to me it looked like the Mustang had clear road as per this still from the video, right up until the Alfetta turned left. 
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

alfa duk

All that mustang had to do was wait 5 sec and he would have blown the alfetta away . You also need to anticipate other drivers actions, like where did he think the alfetta was going and this was 2 experienced drivers.
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

hmd

Quote from: aggie57 on March 14, 2013, 02:27:13 PM
Quote from: hmd on March 14, 2013, 09:58:41 AM
Quote from: Neil Choi on March 14, 2013, 08:35:33 AM
Mustang darted to the right (outside) initially then decided to go left (inside) with little room to undertake.  Mustang could have waited a second out of the corner to go as it knows it has power over the poor little 2L. 

Mustang driver was found at fault and fined.

There was also the white alfetta on the outside turning in, the red/black alfetta had no where to go really.

Far be it for me to second guess the stewards but to me it looked like the Mustang had clear road as per this still from the video, right up until the Alfetta turned left.

That still doesn't show you where the Alfetta was and this clip wasn't used by the stewards, I believed they have other visions to go with.

From what I heard the vision from the red Alfa was showing he had to turn in as the white Alfa was shaping to turn in as well. The mustang saw a small hole that he thought he could quickly took, it was his responsibility to make sure he did a safe passing move. It easy to be critical but it's a millisecond judgement thing.

aggie57

The Alfetta clearly wasn't in front of the Mustang!  All I have been saying is that the clip as posted to youtube is titled "mustang shunts alfetta at phillip island" which is one point of view. 

Either way, as you say these are split second decisions and unfortunately in this case the result wasn't good.

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM

alfa duk

How was it hit behind the b pillar then? When they came together the alfetta turned in front of the stang so it had to be in front of it.
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

aggie57

Quote from: alfa duk on March 14, 2013, 06:07:18 PM
How was it hit behind the b pillar then? When they came together the alfetta turned in front of the stang so it had to be in front of it.

"When they came together the Alfetta turned in front of the stang". Thanks!!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 

Neil Choi

Quote from: hmd on March 14, 2013, 05:05:17 PM
saw a small hole that he thought he could quickly took, it was his responsibility to make sure he did a safe passing move. It easy to be critical but it's a millisecond judgement thing.

Hey I know about this type of situation as well.

Ok, back on topic, any more pics and vision, Evan I know you got a ripper to show.

Neil Choi

Here you go, another close call, unusual mistake by the GT.

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Neil Choi on March 14, 2013, 06:22:32 PM
Ok, back on topic, any more pics and vision, Evan I know you got a ripper to show.

Um no - unless you're talking about the photos of the rebodied Alfa sports car I posted earlier in this thread...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Craig Sinclair

Witnessed the Mustang - Alfetta "interface" spectating from the outside of the track. Watching it on Neil's footage makes more sense of it, as it did appear at the time that the Mustang drove straight in to the Alfa, which was taking the normal racing line. The footage shows the Alfa getting up the inside down into MG off Lukey. It appeared to get a better run out, and the "bobble" of the white Alfetta probably had the red Alfetta driver's attention, rather than the Mustang driver taking an optimistic and somewhat unrealistic dive back up the inside into a far faster corner.  I did see Skaife in the flame-throwing Group A Skyline, carving through the field from a rear of Grid start on Sunday arvo, make a breathtaking inside passing manoeuvre at the same place on an M3. I swear he had two wheels on the ripple strip all the way around.  Wasn't a cigarette papers' width in it. Fantastic to watch. (I believe he missed the win by 0.1 seconds)
Current: 2012 Toyota 86
1976 Alfetta GT
Previous Alfa ownership:
1980 Alfetta Sedan
1977 Alfetta GTV
33 Quadrifoglio

Evan Bottcher

I do have this one - I went to visit my good friend Neil, but he'd succumbed to the heat.  Zzzzzz.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Craig Sinclair on March 14, 2013, 08:11:13 PM
I did see Skaife in the flame-throwing Group A Skyline, carving through the field from a rear of Grid start on Sunday arvo, make a breathtaking inside passing manoeuvre at the same place on an M3. I swear he had two wheels on the ripple strip all the way around.  Wasn't a cigarette papers' width in it. Fantastic to watch. (I believe he missed the win by 0.1 seconds)

I saw that one, I was sure they would come together.  Brilliant driving from both of them.  Whoever that Skaife guy is, I'd say he has a very bright future in motorsport ahead of him.