Alternative seats for 101 series Sprint

Started by Geoff Cotton, January 24, 2008, 09:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff Cotton

Saluto, fellow Alfisti

Anyone know of a good alternative to the standard 750/101 series seats? I'm planning to do some low-level motorsport with the 1600 Sprint but the standard seats have no lateral grip and no headrests.

The only alternatives I've seen were in Michael Barden's Sprint Veloce; I think they were Recaros? He'd retrimmed them in leather.

I've considered using the Cobra Classic or Cobra Cub. Both of these come with headrests and are relatively narrow, which is important as the transmission tunnel is offset and eats into the driver's side room. Does anyone out there have any experience with them? Thery are base mount only, so that suggests some fiddling to get them to fit. They are available only in black or grey vinyl so recovering in tan leather seems required. Anyone know of a good retrimmer in Northern NSW or Brissie?

Any info will be much appreciated.

Ciao,
Geoff

Doug Gould

Having just put a Sparco seat in my GTV6, I'd suggest that your starting place should be finding a seat that fits you. Then see if it fits the car. Competition seats are wider than you'd expect. The other option might be to leave the standard seat and just try a 5 point harness. The third option is to keep the 101 for the road and buy a GTV for the track. I wouldn't be expecting the 101 cto be a great track car. I'm guessing that its like my Montreal - a great touring car, but not nimble enough for any half serious track work.

Doug
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Geoff Cotton

Quote from: Doug Gould on January 26, 2008, 06:41:04 PM
The other option might be to leave the standard seat and just try a 5 point harness. The third option is to keep the 101 for the road and buy a GTV for the track. I wouldn't be expecting the 101 cto be a great track car. I'm guessing that its like my Montreal - a great touring car, but not nimble enough for any half serious track work.

Doug
Thanks Doug. I'm really looking for a 'period' style seat so that excuses the Sparcos and limits my options. I'm not expecting the Sprint to be a great track car either, just one that is fun to use, particularly in historic hillclimbs & regularities. You'd be surprised how nimble they are, being about 45 kilos lighter than the 105 series Sprint GT - in Gilietta Sprint Veloce guise they were the car to beat in the 50s, especially in hillclimbs.

Ciao,
Geoff

Doug Gould

I think all of the seat manufacturers do a classic style tub. You need to look at one - probably at Meridian Motorsport in Moorabbin or Revoloution Racegear in Mitcham. A quick google will find you the Sparco, Cobra, Velo & racetech websites which will have dimensions. Another plan might be to use a proper seat, but meke it removeable by nmounting it on standard seat slides (Hugh Harrisson might have a set).

Doug
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

tony

Hi Geoff,

I,m sorry I have not picked up on this earlier , I am the current owner of Michael Bardens car and am also doing the update for 101 / 750 registers. Could you please contact me by email use the club contact for publicity officer in the contacts section.

cheers Tony
tony hawker
1962 1300 giulietta sprint veloce
1967 1600 giulia gt veloce
1970 1750 gtv
2002 156 2.5 6 speed monza
previous...
1963 2600 sprint
1977 alfetta group sc
1978 alfetta gtv
1969 1750 gtv
1985 gtv6 tarmac rally car