147 timing belt replacement cost

Started by Brent, January 24, 2013, 11:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

Hello All,

New to owning a 2002 147, (6 months), I am in need to replace the timing belt, so far I have been given a price of $1500 for a full fit, balance shaft kit, and pulleys etc.  Any advice re if this is a fair price is greatly appreciated. I love the car, and other than a small oil leak has been great.

Thanks.

John Hanslow

Quote$1500 for a full fit, balance shaft kit, and pulleys etc

Just remember that is not just the belt as you get a quote of upwards from $750 - it is about all the other necessary items that need replacing as they are worn and will have a negative effect on engine performance.

When I had the belt changed in my 156, the variator did not need changing but a bearing kit was needed.  Cost about $1250 all up.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Cool Jesus

It's towards the upper end of the ball park figure for a mechanic to do the work. I had the same with a twin spark done at Brian Foleys for a little under that with a water pump also. Just a timing kit would have been $1200, but i got the whole front end redone since it was already being pulled apart. Could have done it myself for about a third of the price, but had no time and it was way overdue when i bought the car.

Is the garage you are using an Alfa workshop? There are some specific tools required such as the cam lobe holder so as to not loose the engine timing.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Brent

Thanks for the feed back. The shop is northside, Prestige autos, they look to work on Euro cars, including Alfa. Sounds like I am getting hit a little hard on the price, thus any hints of somebody on the northside of Bris?

colcol

Every second cam belt change, the water pump should be done as well, as it is a pulley for the cam belt and if the water pump leaks or seizes, your cam belt will break, followed by a loud bang and then silence, have the tensioner and all the pulleys done AND the much ignored balance shaft belt, if this belt breaks, then it tangles up with the cam belt followed by a large bang, while the belts are being done, the harmonic balance has to be taken off, have this checked as well, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Brent

Thanks for the tip. As far as I know I am getting the balence shaft belt etc done as well, but not too sure re the water pump. Will ask. Cheers.

colcol

To do the water pump on its own i reckon would be about $800????, when doing the cam belt job the pump is just sitting there looking at you, i purchased a non genuine, but brand name water pump for about $85, it was a Quinton Hazleton, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

L4OMEO

Get a second quote, recommend Automotion in Albion or John French Motors in Woollongabba. Either should give an accurate estimate and description of all mandatory and recommended work,  both are very good and should provide a decent benchmark.

Cheers
Rory
2002 156 GTA

Craig_m67

I wouldn't take my car (ever again) or recommend John French Woollongabba to anybody.
My car was returned to me in an unsafe and dangerous condition.

Craig McLeod
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Palermo TI

Hi all. All the best with your 147.  Just spoke to Mechanic yesterday regarding belt.
1500.00 sounds ok! Providing he does the full kit together with the water pump.
Happy motoring :)
Alfa spider Lusso 2004
Giulitta Distintive
Live the Dream

Brent

Thanks all for the feed back. Well I pick her up on Wed, so will advise of the out come. Will use all your feed back for any future repairs, and be sure to ask some questions when I see them. Cheers all, and will be take the time to get through the rest of the forums now that I have found the site.