'74 GTV Door Battle - Victory

Started by Polyal, January 13, 2013, 08:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polyal

I just thought I would share my little "victory" as some might have noticed I have been asking lots of questions about doors since I have joined.

I brought my GTV and was perhaps a little over excited and didnt check many simple things that I thought would have been atleast semi operational..hmm

So I found my window wasnt winding so well, actually barely anything, so as the skin was on I thought it would be a simple fix. I take the skin off to find the reg was damaged, the spline/rod etc all needed replacing, the interior lock rod non existent, the previous owner cut holes for speakers etc...long story short it was a mess. Oh and the door check needing doing too.

So I wanted it to be returned to original spec, but not quite in the end as I dont like the hockey stick handles; I wanted something slim and clean.

So I got new skins, pretty much every screw, screw cup etc..everything new other than the 1/4 vent winder..that will come.

A big thanks to everyone here who helped, Im happy with the finish and its one thing off the list now :) Some pics below..

As we started, wood there to hold the glass up as I drove it from Melb to Hobart.

All the mechanisms back in...

All new :)

I hope to not have to do that for another 40 odd years!

GTV-074

Well done!

That perserverance paid off and now you have renewed/replaced everything in the door and can wind the window up & down!

Just my opinion but I prefer the orginal type armrest. I can understand the cleaner look of what you have fitted but hey its your car
you do want you want to it!

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

Polyal

Thanks!

Yes nice having some trim back..hehe

Its not that I didnt like the armrest perse, they were in pretty average condition and I saw some pics of older 105's/GTA's and liked the strap..simple as that.

In hindsight I would have drilled the rivets out of the brackets that the strap/rest screws into to I could have had the strap not crossing the diagonal "stitching"  but ergonomically it works well.