monitor control system failure - GT 3.2 V6

Started by CassGT, January 09, 2013, 10:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CassGT

Hello all,

Not long ago the alternator packed it in and i ended up with a very flat battery, as i would drive along the ABS and VDC systems would shut down.

The alternator was replaced and all was well, until, the ABS and VDC failure began. This had no real impact on my ability to drive the car as it would happen very randomly.

Recently however, on a cold start, it would take a while for the engine to kick over and the "monitor control system failure" warning began.
Now i cannot get the car to start at all.....

I can't help but feel this is all related to the battery..

Anyone else been here before?
- GT 3.2 V6
- 156 2.0 TSPARK, MONZA

colcol

Clean up all battery terminals, earth wires, fuses, circuit breakers around the battery and see how you go, some Auto Electricians add another earth wire, have the battery load tested, ie put it under load to see if it is holding up or breaking down under load, if it is a open top that you can access the acid, do a gravity test, to see if you have a dud cell or not, these engine managment systems need full power to work properly, they don't like being not supplied with the full amount of volts or good earths, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Mick A

I'd say take it to your mechanic if you are unsure.

CassGT

thanks Colin, will give that a try!

choder, i'm leaving the mechanic as a last resort as most of the people that i have found with the same issue say that thier mechanics had no clue and cost them unnecessary dollars!
- GT 3.2 V6
- 156 2.0 TSPARK, MONZA

colcol

If you are going to a Mechanic with no clues, they most likely don't have a Alfa Examiner, that is a scanner for checking Alfa Romeo Fiat error codes, when you go to a Mechanic, ask them do they have the Alfa Examiner, if no, bid them farewell and go to one who does, and a knowledge of Alfa Romeo's, otherwise you are just wasting time and money and adding to that Myth that Alfa Romeo's are unreliable, because the Franchised Service centre doesn't know how to fix them, so they say the cars are rubbish, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

CassGT

Thanks Colin,

I't hasn't left the garage for a few days as the engine won't fire up so haven't taken it to my mechanic yet (who are 30yr alfa veterans).

Had a mechanic mate of mine around yesterday and it looks like the problem is one of 2 sensors needing to be replaced. Gettin the diagnostic done on monday so hopefully won't be long before my baby is back on the road!

Will let everyone know exactly what it was as iv notice alot of people posting across various forums with the same issue.
- GT 3.2 V6
- 156 2.0 TSPARK, MONZA

colcol

CassGT

That's what we're thinking... Hope it's nothin to complicated. It's killin be not being able to drive her!
- GT 3.2 V6
- 156 2.0 TSPARK, MONZA

colcol

I have found with crank sensors, that they work when cold, but fail when hot, went out one day to shop, and when the car was hot, it just stopped, lift the bonnet, cool it down, drive another kilometer and the car stops, you get the picture, have a look on some of the UK Forums, they most likely have a post on brake switch changes, Colin.

Neil Choi

So Colin gets the chocolate fish, yeah?  Half of it at least.