Track Suspension rear springs

Started by Southern75, January 08, 2013, 06:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southern75

Hi Guys,

In my sud, i have it set up for the track and it handles really well.
The problem is my rear springs seem to pop out when the car gets a suitable lean on it (i.e going pretty hard) but they seem to pop back in. Doesn't seem to affect anything but it is disconcerting

Thing is, other's don't seem to suffer the same complaint.

I have been investigating options, which range from limiting the downward travel of my shocks (they are koni reds in the rear) ... the theory is that would limit axle twist and should therfore reduce rear grip ... perhaps?????

Fitting keeper springs, which would involve some clever engineering, however this would mean the car would have to be raised and therefore i'd have to get the springs shortened again ... not sure about this option.

What have others done? Have any of you done anything?

Am i making a big deal over nothing?

Cheers

Matt
Rust, nah that's not rust .... its iron oxide!!!

Alfas:
1977 Alfasud ti (race)
1980 Alfasud ti (race)
1987 75 V6 (toy)
2008 147 JDTM (sensible?)

Evan Bottcher

Do you run a rear sway bar?  The rear bar on our Sud limits the amount of droop on the inside rear wheel.  Quite normal for the car to lift the inside rear wheel an inch or so into the air on some corners.  I'm guessing that would prevent the springs coming loose while driving, certainly it's never happened that I've noticed.

However we also have limit straps so when we jack up the car or put it on the hoist the springs don't fall out.  They're just a couple of sections cut from old seat belt webbing, screwed the axle spring pan and to the body.  I'll try to take a photo later on.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Ray Pignataro

Ditto Evan  I have the same setup with seat belts limiting the axle droop

Southern75

Umm, no rear sway bar ... reluctant to go down that path as it handles so well ...

Have you ever spoken to a guy Greg from Suspension Concepts? He sets up many a racecar and he is very anti sway bars with current tyre technology. I'm not against fitting one ... I'm just looking for other avenues first.

I'm going to try the tethering, but have been investigating coil overs, just not so sure how to mount them,
Rust, nah that's not rust .... its iron oxide!!!

Alfas:
1977 Alfasud ti (race)
1980 Alfasud ti (race)
1987 75 V6 (toy)
2008 147 JDTM (sensible?)