'89 33 Dash repair?

Started by deemac66, January 06, 2013, 05:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemac66

Hello fellow Alfisti, I am looking for a reasonable 33 dash.

I am preparing a 33 for my son's impending "P" plate license and have purchased a couple of 33's. Both have many significant structural cracks in most/all of the mounting screw holes. I was hoping that one out of the two may have a dash which can be repaired but both are very damaged. The crash pad or top surface is perfect it is only the mounting brackets which have deteriorated. The cracks are very fine and numerous which leads me to believe that simply welding or gluing will only cause cracking somewhere else as the ABS plastic has deteriorated due to heat.

My questions are: Has any one else experienced this? What was the outcome? Does any one have a decent dash for sale?

Thanks for reading.
Now:
White '84 GTV6
Red '03 156 JTS Selespeed
Black '02 156 JTS Selespeed
2 X White '89 33 1.7 IE
Red '86 33

Then:
Blue '00 156 t/spark Selespeed
Black '03 147

colcol

Try a few wreckers or someone that is wrecking one on Ebay, yours is a series 2, 33 that is 87-90 the first of the unleaded, the earlier series one 83-87 are different, i don't know if the series 3, 33's, [16v] are different, never noticed, i pulled the dash out of mine, series 1 [84] about 25 years ago and some of the mounts were already broken, so i rebuilt the mounts on the dashboard with fibreglass, and where the self tapper screw goes in the dash to hold it onto the firewall, i fibreglassed a steel washer to spread the load a bit more evenly, and where the self tapper screwed into a plasic bush, which crack and split, i replaced them with a speed nut or if i had a bit more room i put in a nut rivot, i was beetween jobs at the time and had plenty of time to fibreglass bits and pieces, got to like fibreglass a lot, done properly, can be stronger than original, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

deemac66

Thanks Colin, I guess fibreglass might be the go  :(
Now:
White '84 GTV6
Red '03 156 JTS Selespeed
Black '02 156 JTS Selespeed
2 X White '89 33 1.7 IE
Red '86 33

Then:
Blue '00 156 t/spark Selespeed
Black '03 147